Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Easiest sippy cup for nursing baby

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 12:25 pm
My baby is KAH 9 months, she never liked a bottle, and she takes solids nicely bh. Now that its summer Im trying to get her to take a sippy cup to stay hydrated, but she doesnt know what to do with them! I've tried a whole bunch of different cups, but for now her only source of fluids is me! Please help!

teddyb

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 12:57 pm
There's a learning curve ime. I found my oldest finally got how it worked when he was around other kids using them. You or your husband can drink from a sippy to show her what to do. I think the soft spout ones are easier then the hard spout. Straw ones are recommend-better for their mouth muscles. There's also one that they can drink from like a regular cup that's prob pretty smart.

pesek zman

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 1:01 pm
Munchkin 360 is like a regular cup, but they all have a learning curve. Keep offering it and baby will figure it out

twogees

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 1:06 pm
My baby has been using these ones real nicely since purim-http://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Miracle-Sippy-Green-Ounce/dp/B00MRZIGVG?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s02
just like a regular cup that has a cover that only lets liquid out when sucked on.

capable

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 1:06 pm
my toddler never used a sippy cup - started with a regular cup, then moved on to a cup with a straw and a regular sports top bottle when we went out. might be worth a try!

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 1:13 pm
My daughter was a bottle refuser. we literally bought dozens of different types of bottles, sippy cups, and other similar items.

The only that my daughter would do - straw cups! At 9 months she was proficient with them. Drinking from a straw is actually much more similar to nursing than drinking from a sippy cup or even a bottle in terms of the mouth movements; and children as young as 4-6 months can learn to use a straw cup. Really!

Straw cups are also better developmentally for developing muscles needed for speech, and are also better for the teeth, because the liquid bypasses them completely (similar to nursing).

Some recommended cups:
1) Playtex Baby First Lil' Sipster Straw Trainer Cup (https://www.diapers.com/p/playtex-baby-first-lil-sipster-straw-trainer-cup-green-6-oz-998547) - This cup is the best to train your daughter on, because it is squeezable. Meaning, that you can squeeze the cup gently and the liquid will rise through the straw so your daughter understands that she can get milk/liquid out of it. This taught my daughter that this was a food source. But, once she caught on, I immediately switched to the cups below, since this one is not spillproof, the straw doesn't go all the way to the end, and my baby couldn't drink from any angle. But it was critical to start with. They revamped this model since we used it like 2 years ago, so I can't vouch for this mdoel specifically. But the idea of the squeezable straw cup really works well.

2) Zoli Bot straw cup (http://www.amazon.com/ZoLi-BOT-Straw-Sippy-Cup/dp/B0031E1GEG) or B.Box straw cup (http://www.amazon.com/Box-Essential-Sippy-Cup-Blueberry/dp/B00C5OREOY). These cups are almost identical (they used to actually be identical, with Zoli being American and B.Box being Australian, but it looks like the B.Box was updated in the last 2 years or so, so I can't vouch for the new model. The Zoli is exactly the same though). These straw cups are the best straw cups in the universe. And I am not exaggerating. The straw has a weight at the end, so regardless of which way your baby holds the cup, they can still drink the liguid - for a baby who only sort of knows what to do with a straw/sippy cup/ this is critical. The cups are also really durable (we had the same ones for over 2 years, with only the straws being replaced periodically), even when thrown, dropped, chewed, etc. (which makes up for the slightly higher price). Also, the straw goes all the way to the bottom, so there is never extra liquid left over that your baby can't get to (this was critical for me, since I was pumping and every drop of breastmilk counted). They are relatively spill proof -they won't leak if you turn them over, but the liquid does sometimes come out of the straw if it starts off cold and then warms up (blame physics - this happens in almost every single straw cup I have tried). Also, the straws are very thin and soft, so a bottle refuser is less likely to spit it out. They were also not too difficult to clean (less parts than other straw cups we tried) - just put a small brush through the straw (Zoli seels a pack of extra straws and straw brush, which was great) and wash every thing else down with a regular sponge/bottle brush. No valves or 2 part straws, and you don't need to disconnect the straw from the lid. My daughter loved this cup, and it was basically the only thing she would drink out of until she was 18 months.

Good luck!

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 1:13 pm
teddyb wrote:
There's a learning curve ime. I found my oldest finally got how it worked when he was around other kids using them. You or your husband can drink from a sippy to show her what to do. I think the soft spout ones are easier then the hard spout. Straw ones are recommend-better for their mouth muscles. There's also one that they can drink from like a regular cup that's prob pretty smart.

She's not my first and she tries to steal her older brothers cuppy but doesnt know what to do with it! Maybe I'll try a straw one, I've tried giving her a straw with an open cup but she is clueless how to use it.

cityofgold

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 1:16 pm
My kids only liked straw cups. Right now I like the Skiphop ones on Amazon.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 1:19 pm
amother wrote:
She's not my first and she tries to steal her older brothers cuppy but doesnt know what to do with it! Maybe I'll try a straw one, I've tried giving her a straw with an open cup but she is clueless how to use it.

See my post above on using straw cups! It looks like you might have missed it Smile

out-of-towner

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 10:44 pm
twogees wrote:
My baby has been using these ones real nicely since purim-http://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Miracle-Sippy-Green-Ounce/dp/B00MRZIGVG?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s02
just like a regular cup that has a cover that only lets liquid out when sucked on.

I'm so happy that I introduced them to you!

My 17 month old has some serious delays in his speech and feeding skills due to physical issues, but he just figured out these cups on his own, and it's amazing. Best. Invention. Ever!

mazal555

Post Fri, May 27 2016, 12:47 am
My baby uses the Tomo Como. You can buy it on Amazon. I have tried the tomee tipee and I have had the most success with this one
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics