Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Considering Five Towns- would like to try Shavuos

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 11:30 pm
Coming from Boro Park, we are considering a move to Inwood or a similar community in the Five Towns.

We grew up Chassidish but want to make a lifestyle change for reasons I shall not mention here Confused We are a serious, frum family of six ( two adults, four kids) not bummy at all.

We would love to try a community on Shavuos to see if it's the right fit for our family. Where can we rent an appartment/ hotel within Eruv/ or someone with a hachnosas orchim basement?

We are dying to move to a place with a warm, out of town feel, with a strong accepting community. We would love to experience being part of an accepting warm shul.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

pesek zman

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 11:39 pm
Given that you want a community with an out of town feel, why do you think 5 towns would be a good fit?

I'm not bashing the 5t, but it's as IN TOWN as you get.

doctorima

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 11:40 pm
I would suggest reaching out the shul in the community and explain your situation, and hopefully they'll be able to place you for sleeping and meals in the community, which would also give you a better feel for it than staying in a hotel. Another option would be trying to find somebody there through Shabbat.com.

sariti

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 11:47 pm
Maybe try bayswater, it's more low key out of town atmosphere no pressure at all and lots of different types of ppl

Maya

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 11:49 pm
doctorima wrote:
I would suggest reaching out the shul in the community and explain your situation, and hopefully they'll be able to place you for sleeping and meals in the community, which would also give you a better feel for it than staying in a hotel. Another option would be trying to find somebody there through Shabbat.com.

Yes.
As someone who has done this quite a few times, you need to reach out to the shul in the community you are considering a move to. Most shuls in small communities have an outreach committee, and they can place you with families to sleep at and eat with.

Although, isn't Shavuot a really bad time to do this? Stuck with strangers for three days, six meals. Why don't you try a shabbos instead?
It's an extremely overwhelming process with lots of emotional, mental and physical activity involved.

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, May 27 2016, 12:12 am
Maya wrote:
Yes.
As someone who has done this quite a few times, you need to reach out to the shul in the community you are considering a move to. Most shuls in small communities have an outreach committee, and they can place you with families to sleep at and eat with.

Although, isn't Shavuot a really bad time to do this? Stuck with strangers for three days, six meals. Why don't you try a shabbos instead?
It's an extremely overwhelming process with lots of emotional, mental and physical activity involved.

Yes, I meant BayswAter, not Inwood.

We don't want to impose on a host for an entire Shavuos- I would bring my own meals, only go for a meal or two, and go to Shul to get a sense of the community. Which is why I prefer to rent an appartment or stay in a basement.

Who would I contact for bayswater?

twogees

Post Fri, May 27 2016, 1:23 am
PM me. I can find out from my parents if you can possibly stay by them for a shabbos/about who to contact
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating