Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Putting in a bathroom

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, May 29 2016, 12:15 am
We would like to convert a walk in closet it our bedroom into a bathroom with a stand up shower (no bathtub). It is right next to the main bathroom and several neighbors of ours who have the same house layout as ours have done this. Any ideas as to how much this costs?

teddyb

Post Sun, May 29 2016, 12:21 am
Beat idea would be to ask the neighbors that did it....

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, May 29 2016, 12:25 am
I didn't convert a closet, but completely renovated a bathroom. I would say we ended up spending maybe $7K total to replace the original 1940s bathroom we had. This was using a fully licensed local small contractor (not some unlicensed handyman). This amount includes the costs for tile, new bathtub, fixtures, paint, labor .. Etc. we kept costs down by buying good quality but not expensive tile from Home Depot & Lowes. Bought all fixtures from those locations too, taking advantage of good brands that were on sale. The contactor labor wasn't cheap, but not crazy expensive either. We went with a local reputable company that we throughly vetted. It's important to use a contactor that is licensed because if something goes wrong you can appeal to the state licensing board (had to do that with another contractor and yep, we got our $ back for that instance).

amother
Teal

Post Sun, May 29 2016, 8:48 am
amother wrote:
We would like to convert a walk in closet it our bedroom into a bathroom with a stand up shower (no bathtub). It is right next to the main bathroom and several neighbors of ours who have the same house layout as ours have done this. Any ideas as to how much this costs?

Adding a bathroom is much more expensive than renovating one. We are currently doing a slightly bigger project than you aredescribing that includes adding a bathroom and it's estimated to be 25-30k, and that's for middle of the line bathroom appliances (not too cheap, not luxurious). I would say it would probably be a 15-20k job (assuming you're in the NY area...)

Call some contractors and get some free estimates.

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, May 29 2016, 9:26 am
amother wrote:
Adding a bathroom is much more expensive than renovating one. We are currently doing a slightly bigger project than you aredescribing that includes adding a bathroom and it's estimated to be 25-30k, and that's for middle of the line bathroom appliances (not too cheap, not luxurious). I would say it would probably be a 15-20k job (assuming you're in the NY area...)

Call some contractors and get some free estimates.

Adding a bathroom is more expensive than renovating one, but op said that the bathroom she's adding is close to a different bathroom. Presumably, they can use some of the same piping and save money that way. It won't be as bad as adding a bathroom where there are no water pipes.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, May 29 2016, 9:41 am
Thanks so much- it is a house were buying, not our house yet so we don't really know the neighbors well enough to ask yet. We would only consider this project if it can be done for under 10K. We are fine with paint instead of tile on the walls, and a simple toilet, sink, and stand up shower. Has anyone done something like this recently in the New York area who can give me a ballpark estimate?

amother
Teal

Post Sun, May 29 2016, 9:51 am
amother wrote:
Thanks so much- it is a house were buying, not our house yet so we don't really know the neighbors well enough to ask yet. We would only consider this project if it can be done for under 10K. We are fine with paint instead of tile on the walls, and a simple toilet, sink, and stand up shower. Has anyone done something like this recently in the New York area who can give me a ballpark estimate?

I am the poster from above that said I am currently doing it. Ours is flush against another bathroom as well and still is costing about 30k in the NY area. Our project has a slightly bigger scope but I think they said the bathroom alone would have been about 15-20.

Things to consider in terms of cost are, do you need to knock down any walls? Do you need to rip up previous floor in order to add tile (most likely yes), etc. I highly doubt you can do it for under 10k unless you don't use a licensed contractor (which I do NOT recommend)... But again, get estimates for your situation, it's free!

We got a few estimates and chose one of the cheaper one, FYI.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, May 29 2016, 10:39 am
Thanks so much for your help! That seems like a lot more than we would like to spend at the moment for a little bathroom so good to know!!!

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, May 29 2016, 10:57 am
My parents put in a master bathroom back to back with another bathroom. It was cheaper because there was less piping work, but they discovered that they can't use both showers at the same time because there is not enough water pressure and the temperature drops slightly. Just be aware.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, May 29 2016, 11:10 am
Oh wow that's also something to consider...

thanks

Post Sun, May 29 2016, 11:23 am
You can bring a contractor in to give you an estimate even before you buy the house. We did that, and he gave us very valuable advice so we know when we bought the house what we were getting inot.

amother
Silver

Post Sun, May 29 2016, 1:02 pm
We paid $6000 to enclose our back porch and install a half bath (no tub or shower). There was no bathroom on the first floor and we really didn't want guests having to go upstairs to use the bathroom. This was not in nyc. Low end very basic supplies. Exclamation
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics