Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Notable Clips & Links
Cincinnati zoo kills gorilla to save child
1  2  3  4  5  Next

blueberries

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 11:16 am

greenfire

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 11:20 am
yes I saw that ... horrific for everybody all around

thank god the boy is safe ... but they really should have used tranquilizer darts for a better outcome - especially since silver back gorillas are endangered

BinahYeteirah

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 11:25 am
My understanding is that tranquilizers take a few minutes to reach full effect. Also, the darts can enrage an animal. It was safest for the child to kill the gorilla.

gp2.0

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 11:41 am
They did the right thing, but it's a shame. This is just part of the reason why zoos shouldn't keep huge animals they can't control - elephants, rhinos, hippos, lions, tigers, gorillas, chimpanzees, orcas, dolphins, bears etc...none of them belong in zoos. We're seeing a transitional phase now where many animals are being sent to wild sanctuaries, where they have hundreds of acres to roam instead of a few hundred square feet, which is basically prison to a wild animal. But it isn't happening soon enough for some animals. šŸ˜„

Iymnok

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 11:45 am
Or they build better partitions. A moat, wall and angled fence is safe for most animals- and keeps people out.

anotherima

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 11:48 am
How did this four year old get in? Why weren't the parents watching? The zoo did the right thing by killing the Gorilla and saving the child's life, but the parents should have kept a closer eye on their child. A gorilla was killed because of their neglect.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 11:48 am
How is it that the little boy fell into the enclosure?

Maya

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 11:50 am
anotherima wrote:
How did this four year old get in? Why weren't the parents watching? The zoo did the right thing by killing the Gorilla and saving the child's life, but the parents should have kept a closer eye on their child. A gorilla was killed because of their neglect.

I believe there are discussions as to whether to bring charges against the parents.

gp2.0

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 11:56 am
Witnesses say the kid kept saying he wanted to go in the water, and the mom kept saying no. The kid then maneuvered through several different layers of fencing - probably a wall, some bushes, a fence, and jumped into the moat. The zoo says this kind of thing hasn't happened since 1978. So it's not like it common or easy. It's unfortunate all around and I'm glad that kid is ok, the gorilla was trying to protect the child but he wasn't being gentle, he was treating the boy the same way he'd treat a baby gorilla. Gorillas are crazy strong.

Jeanette

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 12:48 pm
Whether and to what degree the parents are culpable or if charges should be brought is really beside the point. The real debate is whether a gorilla should be sacrificed to save the life of a child. Apparently the argument is that there are billions of humans in the universe and only a couple hundred thousand gorillas, so the gorrila's life is more valuable. Plus gorrilas are closely related to humans so it becomes harder to argue that humans are somehow on a higher plane.

glamourmom

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 12:52 pm
Jeanette wrote:
Whether and to what degree the parents are culpable or if charges should be brought is really beside the point. The real debate is whether a gorilla should be sacrificed to save the life of a child. Apparently the argument is that there are billions of humans in the universe and only a couple hundred thousand gorillas, so the gorrila's life is more valuable. Plus gorrilas are closely related to humans so it becomes harder to argue that humans are somehow on a higher plane.

would you say the same thing if this was about your child?

DrMom

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 12:53 pm
Jeanette wrote:

Of course one should kill an animal to save a human child. Why is this even a question?

And no, it does not matter if the animal is a primate or a fish or a lion or a dog.

anotherima

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 12:55 pm
I guess Jeanette was writing about the debate that is going on, not that she personally believes this.

Jeanette

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 12:56 pm
I think it should be obvious that I'm paraphrasing the argument of the protesters, not presenting my own opinion. How else do you explain the outrage?

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 12:59 pm
Right. it's species-ism. Guess I'm a just a Human Supremacist.

glamourmom

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 1:01 pm
my apologies, Jeanette.

I don't understand how anyone can argue this.

greenfire

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 1:11 pm
zoos are made for children to explore ... while of course we can say the parents should keep a better eye on their children ... the zoo also has an obligation to build better barriers - because this child crawled his way right through

of course the boy should be saved over the gorilla ~

BinahYeteirah wrote:
My understanding is that tranquilizers take a few minutes to reach full effect. Also, the darts can enrage an animal. It was safest for the child to kill the gorilla.

good point about the tranquilizer taking time to take effect as well as enraging the gorilla - at which point the boy would be even more at danger

Shuly

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 1:15 pm
The videos were scary - he shlepped the kid by the leg across rocks. An eye witness said he even dragged the kid across concrete and when the kid tried to get away, the gorilla sat on him!

The zoo made the right decision.

marina

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 1:50 pm
greenfire wrote:
yes I saw that ... horrific for everybody all around

thank god the boy is safe ... but they really should have used tranquilizer darts for a better outcome - especially since silver back gorillas are endangered

no. What if the gorilla collapses on the child? No.

marina

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 1:52 pm
Even if gorillas would be equal to humans, it makes no difference. A little child's life is in danger, no better options, so end of story. Same result if it was a 400 pound human who posed that threat.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> The Social Scene -> Notable Clips & Links