Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Flatbush minhag hamakom tznius

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 2:55 pm
Hi,
I know that some communities have minhag hamakom in regards to tznius. I am curious about the minhag hamakom in flatbush.
Does everyone for the most part cover their legs?
Cover collarbone, elbows, knees?
Or is it different based on hashkafa?

allthingsblue

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 3:01 pm
I assume it depends on your neighborhood, shul and school. I've seen a huge range.

greenfire

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 3:08 pm
there are too many types of people in flatbush to have a 'minhag hamokom' ...

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 3:43 pm
from what I know covering knees, elbows and collar bone is halacha and has nothing to do with minhag hamakom. something like wearing stockings is minhag hamakom.

ruchelbuckle

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 11:18 pm
My understanding is that "minhag Hamakom" only applies to a place that is one unified community, with one Rav that everyone follows. An example of this might be Moshav Mattisyahu (where you need to agree to follow Rav Leff in order to be accepted) or New Square.

I wouldn't worry about Flatbush having a minhag hamakom, just try your best to be sensitive.

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Jul 15 2016, 7:21 am
amother wrote:
from what I know covering knees, elbows and collar bone is halacha and has nothing to do with minhag hamakom. something like wearing stockings is minhag hamakom.

This is not accurate.

cnc

Post Fri, Jul 15 2016, 7:25 am
ruchelbuckle wrote:
My understanding is that "minhag Hamakom" only applies to a place that is one unified community, with one Rav that everyone follows. An example of this might be Moshav Mattisyahu (where you need to agree to follow Rav Leff in order to be accepted) or New Square.

I wouldn't worry about Flatbush having a minhag hamakom, just try your best to be sensitive.

Is that really the case? I always assumed that in a place like Boro Park for example which is primarily chassidish-socks would be required. (Even though it's not unified. )

I'm almost sure that is what I remember learning and reading....it's possible that I'm wrong though.

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Jul 15 2016, 7:34 am
If you don't wear socks in Flatbush you won't stand out. I believe this is what is meant by minhag hamakom.

newmom1987

Post Fri, Jul 15 2016, 7:44 am
If you're going to visit, it would make sense to be sensitive (within reason) to what your hosts do. On the streets though, you will see all types.

TeachersNotebook

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 12:49 am
amother wrote:

Why is this not accurate, Amother Rose? This is exactly how I thought it worked too. I mean, there may be some mikomos where you need to cover 4 inches over the knee rather than 1 inch, etc. etc. But the basic "cover knees, elbows, and collarbone" is halacha and is not place/time dependent. Covering anything else is place/time dependent.

In regards to a "makom." A halachic makom is defined if there is one chief rabbi of the place. Flatbush, and even Boro Park, don't have chief rabbis (interestingly, they tried to import one all the way in the beginning of Jewish NY history, but it didn't work), so they technically aren't mikomos. However, they do contain many different communities. I don't know the actual halacha (if someone does, can you please clarify this??) but I think that if a community holds a tznius minhag, a member of that community must abide. I grew up in a yeshivish Flatbush community, so I wear stockings. But I also mixed with the MO Flatbush crowd, and they wore socks. I don't think they would have had any obligation towards stockings.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 7:20 am
TeachersNotebook wrote:
Why is this not accurate, Amother Rose? This is exactly how I thought it worked too. I mean, there may be some mikomos where you need to cover 4 inches over the knee rather than 1 inch, etc. etc. But the basic "cover knees, elbows, and collarbone" is halacha and is not place/time dependent. Covering anything else is place/time dependent.

My sefarim interpret the halachos differently, and state that collarbone, knees and elbows do not have to be covered. My point is that even if it is not dependent on minhag hamakom, it is also not Halacha for a lot of us.

TeachersNotebook

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 8:02 am
amother wrote:
My sefarim interpret the halachos differently, and state that collarbone, knees and elbows do not have to be covered. My point is that even if it is not dependent on minhag hamakom, it is also not Halacha for a lot of us.

Which seforim are you quoting?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries