Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Lightly glazed-new serial mishpacha
Previous  1  2  3  4

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 10:46 am
OKAY LADIES HOW FUNNY WAS THIS LETTER???? I clearly remember this topic, I cant pull it up right now, but I wish I did. How hilarious is this????

cnc

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 10:50 am
There's another thread going on about it, but no one posted the letter!

greenfire

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 10:29 pm
um ~ isn't that plagiarism ... taking situations off website and writing as if they are her own made up dramas ?!

seeker

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 1:19 am
greenfire wrote:
um ~ isn't that plagiarism ... taking situations off website and writing as if they are her own made up dramas ?!

Why would it be any different than taking things that happen in real life and fictionalizing them?
(and why was this post reported? Seemed like an honest question to me, even if I disagree. Am I missing something?)

amother
Rose

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 9:32 am
Hi!
It sounds like you want to know what the creative process was like when writing this story. I did not take posts I had found on the internet and paste them into my word document, nor did I find posts and fictionalize them, nor were they based on anyone I know or have ever read about. First I wrote the story- the relationship between shayna and malky and shayna and shlomo, malky and her fathers death and her relationship with food, etc etc-and then catered shayna's 4 posts to bringing out whatever plot twists and emotions were necessary for that chapter. So the story (I.e. my brain) wrote the posts- the story brought them out.
Small writing exercise- imagine you wanted to write a story about a woman who turns to an online support group for help with her difficult son (you make up what sort of difficulty). What would the first post say? I bet most of you, without basing it on anyone you know, or anything you've read- could come up with a believable first post- because you have a history with this sort of forum. you know the very distinct style in which women tend to post- and with just a bit of imagination you can put yourself in the struggling mom's head.
So after the core elements of my story were in place I got into shayna's head and posted the way I felt shayna would be viewing her life and marriage at that particular moment in time.

Last edited by amother on Mon, May 20 2019, 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Linen

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 10:44 pm
wow! always wondered how an authors brain works!!
thanks for a great read!

climbing613

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 12:12 am
Thank you for explaining. What an excellent story! A really enjoyable read!

I miss the initial story that had to be cut short though I do understand the reasoning. Would've loved to know where that was going.

Looking forward to reading more from you!

seeker

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 2:52 am
climbing613 wrote:
Thank you for explaining. What an excellent story! A really enjoyable read!

I miss the initial story that had to be cut short though I do understand the reasoning. Would've loved to know where that was going.

Looking forward to reading more from you!

I kind of assumed it was going to a similar place with the newlywed friend who was busy with her pinterest life or whatever it was.
But there were also going to be other concurrent plotlines like the campus kiruv girl, except that specific part is what needed to be dropped.
So it was pared down to a shorter feature focusing mainly on the one issue with a very small side helping of cupcake business that went by too quickly to really appreciate (unlike the newlywed internet addict drama which hit you over the head too hard to possibly miss. Not a bad thing, just saying it didn't get lost in the abbreviation.)

sbmom

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 5:45 pm
Loved this story. I think it explored, albeit briefly, such important issues.

You are a talented writer and I can't wait to read your next story!
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room