Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
London kosher hotels

ROFL

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 4:09 pm
My DD and I will be traveling to london for a few days. We looked on line and found 3 hotels that meet our price range. King Solomon , Croft court and kadimah hotel.
Ladies what do you think which one is the nicest ?
Also how does one travel from heathrow to one of these hotels ? Is a cab the easiest and how much should it cost ?
Thanks in advance.

KAlex

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 5:25 pm
King Solomon and the Croft Court are both in the heart of Golders Green. Kadimah is in Stamford Hill. My impression (not having stayed at any of them, but from what I've seen and heard) is that the Croft Court is nicer than the King Solomon, but I don't know for sure, and don't know what Kadimah is like at all. The Croft Court is on a quieter road than the KS, but they're literally a two-minute walk from each other.

From Heathrow you can get directly on the Picadilly line (Underground) and stay on it to Manor House, and then get a bus to Kadimah (I think the 253/254 would be door to door). For Golders Green you'd have to change lines to the Northern line, and then take a bus up Golders Green Road to the stop outside the King Solomon for either that or the Croft Court.

You could also get the Heathrow Express into the centre of London and change to the Underground from there, but it's more expensive and more complicated and I don't personally see the point.

Some of the sherut-style services in London meet flights from Heathrow and will take you directly to anywhere in Stamford Hill or Golders Green, but I'll let someone who still lives in London give you contact details for that. (It would have to be arranged in advance, but should be much cheaper than a taxi you'd hail at the airport.)

MiamiMommy

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 6:22 pm
We stayed in the King Solomon almost 2 years ago. It was so gross that we're still talking about it!

ROFL

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 7:19 pm
MiamiMommy wrote:
We stayed in the King Solomon almost 2 years ago. It was so gross that we're still talking about it!

Thank you. I am happy to hear information that will make our trip a pleasant one.

ROFL

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 7:27 pm
KAlex wrote:
King Solomon and the Croft Court are both in the heart of Golders Green. Kadimah is in Stamford Hill. My impression (not having stayed at any of them, but from what I've seen and heard) is that the Croft Court is nicer than the King Solomon, but I don't know for sure, and don't know what Kadimah is like at all. The Croft Court is on a quieter road than the KS, but they're literally a two-minute walk from each other.

From Heathrow you can get directly on the Picadilly line (Underground) and stay on it to Manor House, and then get a bus to Kadimah (I think the 253/254 would be door to door). For Golders Green you'd have to change lines to the Northern line, and then take a bus up Golders Green Road to the stop outside the King Solomon for either that or the Croft Court.

You could also get the Heathrow Express into the centre of London and change to the Underground from there, but it's more expensive and more complicated and I don't personally see the point.

Some of the sherut-style services in London meet flights from Heathrow and will take you directly to anywhere in Stamford Hill or Golders Green, but I'll let someone who still lives in London give you contact details for that. (It would have to be arranged in advance, but should be much cheaper than a taxi you'd hail at the airport.)

Thanks. Why are things cheaper if reserved in advance ? My dd may want to travel on the train to see a freind and they said it will be cheaper if she buys the tickets more than a week in advance. I just don't understand Sad

Grandmama

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 8:03 pm
There is supposed to be a nice hotel in Hendon, but not sure if its kosher.
I stayed in one hotel in GG and do not remember the name but it was awful.
I have also stayed in the Kadimah, and it is ok. I plan to stay there again in the near future, simply because there is no other choice if going to Stamford Hill.
Nothing spectacular, but reasonable and the location is right in the heart of Stamford Hill.
I think more people would travel more often to London if there were wonderful hotels and places to eat out.

Raisin

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 12:49 am
if you stay in golders green or hendon thare are plenty of resturants there so you do not necessarily need a kosher hotel. Isn't there a holiday inn by brent cross?

check the tfl website for info on getting around london. And check there is no tube strike on. Exploding anger if you are using public transport get yourself an oyster card.

LondonIma

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 1:22 am
We've stayed at the Holiday inn express Golders Green 2 or 3 times when we've come down for a simcha. It's alright- clean and simple but definitely does the job, the rooms are big enough if its just the two of you, but with kids in there the wall begin closing in on you after a while. They have a Kosher breakfast (dont know if they have it all week)- not a real breakfast but some pastries and yogurt, and cheeses in a refrigerated cupboard in the dining room. I dont know that it has public transport on its door step and may mean you need to taxi to the station (a local would know better). Enjoy your trip.

Hatemywig

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 2:01 am
Express by Holiday Inn - clean and servicable - not 5 starts by any means but definitely clean and comfy. If you want a kosher breakfast you need to inform them in advance, the prices vary, I do know that the first night is more expensive and additional nights after that are a cheaper rate. Very close to Finchley Road kosher shops. As for stations you would have to take a bus to Finchley Central or Golders Green Station.

King Solomon - If you can afford not to stay there, dont!

Croft Court - Very nice accomodations, Kosher Breakfast - 5 minute walk from all restaurants and shops.

There are also people that rent out rooms in the Golders Green area, I'm sorry I don't have any more info.

invisiblecircus

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 2:09 am
We booked a room in the King Solomon Hotel once but cancelled it after seeing so many bad reviews on the booking website.

We stayed in the Croft Court which was clean and nice but had tiny rooms and I think overpriced for what it was.

The last time we went to London we stayed in the Regal Hotel. It's not kosher but is in a great location and in less than 2 mins we could walk to several kosher bakeries and restaurants so my husband picked us up something for breakfast on his way back from shul or we just bought something the night before. The rooms were a bit old fashioned but were clean and we had a lovely big room overlooking the Golders Green Road. It was a lot cheaper than the Croft Court.

smilethere

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 2:46 am
If you need a sherut to pick you up from the airport you can call Darkei Noam on +44 20 8800 5566. You can also call a minicab on +44 20 8809 4444, it will be more expensive.

I have nothing more to add on what was written above on the hotels, good luck!

soboz

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 3:18 am
there is a new kosher hotel in hendon (about 15 minutes walk to central golders green, but next to a large shul and five minutes from hendon's kosher shops and restaurants) called The Pillar. I believe its aimed at people looking for a more upmarked experience. Do a web search for The Pillar, Hendon and you should find it. Also on the Hendon/Golders Green borders is Yamor Suites, a kosher apartment-hotel, where you get a room with lounge area and small kitchenette. They also have a web site. I know people who have stayed there and were very happy. Last time I heard rooms were about £60 per night.
Both of these are on main roads, so easy for public transport.
Good luck and enjoy your visit

Peanut2

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 5:31 am
My parents stayed at the croft court hotel and it was excellent. Before they had stayed at a more upscale non-kosher place in hendon and the croft court was not only cheaper, but cleaner, nicer, had a bigger room and I think a fridge in the bedroom. It was really great. Strongly strongly recommend!
It's nothing fancy, but incredibly comfortable and clean.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 5:46 pm
bumping this up....
traveling to London this July iyh for a simchah. Please recommend a nice decent price hotel,doesn't have to be kosher though. thanks!

etky

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 11:38 pm
Peanut2 wrote:
My parents stayed at the croft court hotel and it was excellent. Before they had stayed at a more upscale non-kosher place in hendon and the croft court was not only cheaper, but cleaner, nicer, had a bigger room and I think a fridge in the bedroom. It was really great. Strongly strongly recommend!
It's nothing fancy, but incredibly comfortable and clean.

I think though that alot depends on your expectations.
My friend and her family stayed there in the winter and couldn't stop talking about how tiny the room was and how old fashioned the furnishings were.
They are Israeli and not familiar with smaller European hotels and though I tried to convey to them that it wasn't going to be like a hotel in Israel, I don't think they really got that it was a much smaller operation than they were used to.
They did say it was very clean, management was friendly and helpful and the location was fantastic for them.
Alll in all they did not regret their stay.
I also suspect that there might be wide variation in regard to room size.
If you book, I would ask about that specifically.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 12:07 am
Would you stay with a family? We rent out our top floor which is one large bedroom (two single beds) and an ensuite bathroom (shower, toilet)

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 12:31 am
Check out the Central Hotel (Hoop Lane). I think it's kosher, but I know for a fact that people have been very happy there. And it's brilliantly situated for all the kosher amenities (and very very close to the mikveh Tongue Out

CEF

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 1:42 am
http://www.kosherbnb.co.uk/

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 8:59 am
amother wrote:
bumping this up....
traveling to London this July iyh for a simchah. Please recommend a nice decent price hotel,doesn't have to be kosher though. thanks!

I presume you need to be GG/Hendon area?

The Pillar hotel in the middle of Hendon is quite nice, better furnished rooms compared to 'hotels' in GG area (They are more like B&B). I'd call it 4-star as opposed to most other places in GG which are more like 2.5 stars. Depending on where you need to be in GG, it's not much further.

There's Holiday Inn in front of Kinloss synagogue near North Circular Rd, another hotel whose name I can't remember just south of Hendon Central on Hendon Way.

I won't recommend Holiday Inn near Brent Cross--pedestrian access around Brent Cross can be a bit confusing, and there's a rather dodgy council estates not far off.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 2:05 pm
Hendon Central hotel is "The Hide" - looks gorgeous on the website!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics