Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Dining room set

Lizajen

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 3:18 am
I've been looking on Craig's list for a while. I am wondering what is a reasonable price. If a set is being sold for 1200$ how much less an I offer? How many chairs is the minimum I should get? I am divorced with 4 kids. Is purchasing a set with only 6 chairs going to look silly, and work when I have company? Is it safe to go to a stranger's home on Craig's list?

Rachel Shira

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 4:50 am
You can offer whatever you want, and they can refuse. There's no reasonable price - if you can't afford it or don't think it's worth it for that piece of furniture, don't get it. Often more expensive things don't get sold so fast and then the price is either lowered or they put it for free, so keep an eye on the things you like. But also don't get complacent because things disappear quickly. I like to contact the sellers even if I'm not sure I definitely want it and let them know I'm interested, ask if the price is negotiable, ask when they need it to be gone by, etc, so they put me first on the list and I can take a day or two (or longer if it's okay with them) to decide if I want it and look for other things and compare prices. It's okay to email later and say I'm actually not going to get it, thanks.
As far as going to someone's house, be smart about it. You'll correspond with the person first by text or email so if there's something offputting, trust yourself. And of course don't go to a stranger's house by yourself (or at least go during the day if you know it's a woman who seems normal, although obviously not so recommended).

Rachel Shira

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 4:51 am
And you can always get folding chairs to have as extras if the set only comes with 6.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 4:57 am
Most of the time you don't need the extra chairs. Extras would be clutter and it's perfectly acceptable to use folding or plastic when you have guests.

doctorima

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 7:08 am
If they're offering for $1200, I'd probably offer $1000 and offer to come finish the deal immediately to let them know you're serious. If you lowball it too much they'll be insulted and think you're playing games and may not even respond. As far as number of chairs, you're highly unlikely to ever be able to match these if you want to expand, so I'd aim for at least 8 if you're able to afford it.

As far as going to a stranger's house, only go during the day, let somebody know where you're going, and if possible, take somebody else with you.

cm

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 7:32 am
It would be hard to carry a dining set by yourself anyway, so you probably would be going with a companion.

So if you have only one chair for guests, you will use folding chairs. Or you could hold out for a set with 8 chairs. A lot depends on the size of your dining room.

When doing private sales with strangers, always go with a helper, and always let someone else know exactly where (and when) you are going.

Lizajen

Post Sat, Jul 16 2016, 7:27 pm
Just saw a dining room table, eight chairs and china cabinet on Craig's list for 1000$. What's reasonable to offer?

Lizajen

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 6:16 pm
How big a table is reasonable to look for?

Amelia Bedelia

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 6:21 pm
Big enough to fit in the amount of chairs you're purchasing, and possibly a table that can extend.

tichellady

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 6:24 pm
We preferred a table that came with 8 chairs but that's totally personal. In my experience you can get a much lower price on Craig's list- we got 10 chairs and a table for $200 total- asking was well over $1000 but we went to see it and liked it and they had no other offers and just needed it out because they were moving.

Lizajen

Post Tue, Aug 30 2016, 6:54 pm
Saw one on Craig's list for 500$ with 10 chairs. With a leaf included it's 8x3. What do you think?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains