Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Manicotti recipe- anyone?

gin10

Post Wed, Mar 23 2016, 12:32 pm
does anyone make cheese manicotti without cooking the noodles first? how do you do it? (I do it with meat, but I've never done it with cheese. When I stuff shells I always cook them first.)
good recipe anyone? method?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Mar 23 2016, 12:39 pm
I combine 16 ounces cottage cheese with 8 ounces shredded cheese and 2 xl eggs, pinches of sugar, salt and pepper. Stuff about a dozen uncooked manicotti shells. Arrange over a thin layer of marinara sauce, top with more marinara to cover. Seal pan tightly and bake at 400 for 40-60 minutes. Sprinkle with more shredded cheese and either cover to melt a few minutes or put back in the oven to brown a few minutes.

mmyy

Post Wed, Mar 23 2016, 12:56 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I combine 16 ounces cottage cheese with 8 ounces shredded cheese and 2 xl eggs, pinches of sugar, salt and pepper. Stuff about a dozen uncooked manicotti shells. Arrange over a thin layer of marinara sauce, top with more marinara to cover. Seal pan tightly and bake at 400 for 40-60 minutes. Sprinkle with more shredded cheese and either cover to melt a few minutes or put back in the oven to brown a few minutes.

I do the same but with cream cheese it will be easier to stuff the shells

gin10

Post Wed, Mar 23 2016, 1:13 pm
so I'm thing that there's not enuf liquid here to cook the manicotti well-- it's not all dried out? and if I put enuf water, there's no layer of sauce on top... trying to get how this works.

Faigy86

Post Wed, Mar 23 2016, 1:32 pm
If you are generous with the sauce, you shouldn't have the problem with it being dried out. If you are still worried, mix the sauce with water before pouring it over so you still have a thick layer of sauce and don't wash it away.

(I've never done this, I always pre-boil my manicotti, but I'm thinking this might help especially as there are a few posters who say they do it without pre-boiling)

greenfire

Post Wed, Mar 23 2016, 2:20 pm
never made manicotti or lasagna for that matter ...

wonder why none of yous are using ricotta cheese or feta cheese - aren't they used for more savory cooking

ra_mom

Post Wed, Mar 23 2016, 2:37 pm
gin10 wrote:
so I'm thing that there's not enuf liquid here to cook the manicotti well-- it's not all dried out? and if I put enuf water, there's no layer of sauce on top... trying to get how this works.
I use a full 26 ounce bottle of marinara sauce for a dozen shells and it covers the pasta completely. No drying out.

Amarante

Post Thu, Jun 02 2016, 10:42 am
This is from The Sopranos cookbook.

I always add some sautéed garlic and the Italian spices to the mix.

If you use enough sauce and make sure it is covered with sauce on top, no need to boil but you could parboil if you were worried.

The real recipes make them with a form of crepe and then wrap around somewhat like an Italian blintz but tube shared instead of square. I have a recipe for that if someone wants to try for authenticity. Obviously it's less doughy than the pasta shells from the store.

For the Filling

2 pounds ricotta
4 ounces fresh mozzarella, chopped or shredded
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Pecorino Romano
1 large egg
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Pinch of salt
Freshly ground pepper
Marinara Sauce (page 13), or Sunday Gravy (page 14)
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Pecorino Romano

Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals