Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
ISO Vegan recipes for Shabbos that guests will enjoy.

beth allen

Post Thu, Jun 02 2016, 7:55 am
We eat only healthy vegan (we also do not use oil ). I have been searching for recipes (sides and appetizers; we serve meat and chicken to the guests) that our guests would enjoy on Shabbos. Would like to keep checking of vegetables to a minimum, as it is time consuming, especially when there are guests to prepare for.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jun 02 2016, 9:13 am
Are you a member of this FB group? Jewish Vegan Cooking: https://www.facebook.com/group.....5623/

I'm not vegan, but I'm always looking for creative parve recipes, and many of these are also gluten, sugar, and unhealthy oil free.

Also:
http://triumphwellness.com/veg.....ipes/
https://www.pinterest.com/emilysegal/

The possibilities are endless!

rednavy

Post Thu, Jun 02 2016, 9:32 am
Do you use any oil at all, like coconut oil?

Amarante

Post Thu, Jun 02 2016, 11:42 am
VEGAN PEARL BARLEY AND SILAN HAMIN (Vegan Cholent)

ISRAELI

Source: Janna Gur - Jewish Soul Food

At Al Hashulchan, the food magazine I run, there is a lovely tradition: For the first lunch of the week, we share leftovers from our respective Shabbat meals. This is how I became acquainted with this dish, which was prepared by Koby Kehaty, an avid cook and the husband of Yael Kalev, the executive editor of the magazine. Relatively light and easy to prepare, this casserole has the deep flavors and golden brown color of the traditional cholent. If you cannot find silan (date honey), use regular honey, but the color won’t be quite the same, and the recipe won’t be vegan.

Serves 6

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 large onions, coarsely chopped
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground cumin
1½ teaspoons sweet paprika
½ teaspoon hot paprika, or to taste
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 to 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
5 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch (2½-cm) cubes
2 medium carrots, cut into large chunks
2 tablespoons date honey (silan) or 1½ tablespoons regular honey
2 cups vegetable stock or water
2 cups pearl barley, rinsed
⅓ cup raisins or pitted and chopped prunes
1 head garlic, halved

1. Preheat the oven to 215°F (100°C).

2. Heat the olive oil in a large ovenproof pot with a tight-fitting lid over medium-low heat. Add the onions and sauté until golden brown, 7 to 8 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat. Add the cinnamon, cumin, sweet paprika, hot paprika, salt, pepper, and chopped garlic and mix thoroughly.

3. Return the pot to the heat. Add the potatoes, sweet potato, and carrots and sauté over medium-low heat for 3 minutes.

4. Mix the date honey and vegetable stock in a bowl.

5. Add the barley and raisins to the pot and sauté for 1 minute. Add the halved garlic head and pour over the stock mixture until it covers the contents of the casserole. If necessary, add more stock. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 10 minutes.

6. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and place in the oven. After 1 hour, check the pot and add more liquid, if necessary. Cook for at least 8 hours or overnight. Serve hot.

VARIATIONS
• If you are not making the casserole for Shabbat, you can cook it for 1 hour at 300°F (150°C) and for 2 more hours at 215°F (100°C).
• Substitute beer for half of the liquids”

Raisin

Post Thu, Jun 02 2016, 11:47 am
My husband and I both love grilled aubergine (eggplant) with tehina. (homemade tehina is far superior to the bought tubs) I grill the aubergine in cubes but you can do it halved as well.

Sweet potatoes with toasted cashew nuts with parsley and sweet chili sauce. (not sure if you use that, I guess you could skip it)

roast any vegetables - peppers, parsnips, carrots, etc

rice/orzo/quinoa pilafs
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking