Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Is there any way we can still get this house?

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Jun 02 2016, 8:19 am
We found a house we like we put in an offer it was accepted. We were in attorney review when they got another offer. They asked us to terminate the contract negotiations. We still want the house is there anything we can do? (We can't afford to offer more $)

doctorima

Post Thu, Jun 02 2016, 10:26 am
Have you signed a contract yet? If yes, ask your lawyer what your options and recourse are. If not, they're under no legal obligation to sell to you, and if they got a higher offer that you're unable to match, there's not much you can do, except daven that the other offer falls through.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Jun 02 2016, 10:45 am
We had this happen to us actually with the current house we're living in. The seller dropped us during attorney review because she had an 'all cash offer' on the table that seemed more appealing. We actually continued are search and looked at one other house but stayed in touch with the realtor who told us that he didn't think the 2nd offer would pan out. Sure enough it fell through! she was fed up and just wanted to sell so we got back in the game and completed the sale. Bottom line: if it's meant to be it will happen!

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Jun 02 2016, 10:51 am
doctorima wrote:
Have you signed a contract yet? If yes, ask your lawyer what your options and recourse are. If not, they're under no legal obligation to sell to you, and if they got a higher offer that you're unable to match, there's not much you can do, except daven that the other offer falls through.

We did not sign the contract yet. I know that what they are doing is completely legal. I'm grasping at straws here! 😉

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Jun 02 2016, 10:52 am
amother wrote:
We had this happen to us actually with the current house we're living in. The seller dropped us during attorney review because she had an 'all cash offer' on the table that seemed more appealing. We actually continued are search and looked at one other house but stayed in touch with the realtor who told us that he didn't think the 2nd offer would pan out. Sure enough it fell through! she was fed up and just wanted to sell so we got back in the game and completed the sale. Bottom line: if it's meant to be it will happen!

This gives me a glimmer of hope!

Miri7

Post Thu, Jun 02 2016, 12:46 pm
Double check with your attorney that they aren't obligated to sell to you. In my state, when the seller accepts the offer by signing it to signify acceptance, then the seller has to sell on those terms. Typically the buyer is not obligated until the contingencies, if any, are released.

So the buyer can force a sale after the offer is officially accepted. Ask your attorney again if you can force a sale.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Jun 02 2016, 12:53 pm
Miri7 wrote:
Double check with your attorney that they aren't obligated to sell to you. In my state, when the seller accepts the offer by signing it to signify acceptance, then the seller has to sell on those terms. Typically the buyer is not obligated until the contingencies, if any, are released.

So the buyer can force a sale after the offer is officially accepted. Ask your attorney again if you can force a sale.

We are in NJ do u know if we can. Our lawyer says we can't but I don't trust him completely.

Miri7

Post Thu, Jun 02 2016, 12:59 pm
amother wrote:
We are in NJ do u know if we can. Our lawyer says we can't but I don't trust him completely.

I'm not in NJ and am not familiar with NJ law, so I can't help you. You may want to call another attorney for their opinion. Let them know you want to force a sale and are looking for someone to help with that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics