Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Is this stealing?
Previous  1  2

marina

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 9:30 pm
Skippy!! wrote:
If you do too many returns Amazon will close your account. Somebody told me that they used to do it with books, they would read the book and send it back. After a while Amazon closed their account.

what happened to the library in town?

marina

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 9:32 pm
amother wrote:
OP. I am really really poor. The taiva is stronger.

In the merit of your honesty, you should be blessed with wealth and this time period will be nothing but a bad dream.

ValleyMom

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 9:45 pm
If you're ASKING then you probably know the answer already...

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 9:46 pm
This thread remind me of a story that happened to me. I ordered a book (about how to get babies to sleep through the night) from Amazon. I skimmed through it but hated what I read-it did not seem like anything that would work for me- so I wanted to return it. Amazon told me to keep the book and they'll refund me anyway.
Well.. What do you know... I ended up reading the whole book (since it was sitting out on the table all week) and I ended up following the methods, and I credit that book for getting my child to sleep properly!

newmommy:)

Post Thu, Jun 02 2016, 5:50 am
allthingsblue wrote:
This thread remind me of a story that happened to me. I ordered a book (about how to get babies to sleep through the night) from Amazon. I skimmed through it but hated what I read-it did not seem like anything that would work for me- so I wanted to return it. Amazon told me to keep the book and they'll refund me anyway.
Well.. What do you know... I ended up reading the whole book (since it was sitting out on the table all week) and I ended up following the methods, and I credit that book for getting my child to sleep properly!

lol what book?

pbandjelly

Post Thu, Jun 02 2016, 9:12 am
Maybe you can resell the two you got money back for. And that will help cover the cost of the third one you are keeping Smile

causemommysaid

Post Thu, Jun 02 2016, 10:33 am
allthingsblue wrote:

something similar happened to me. I ordered a computer case and it smelled horrible- like toxic rubber. Amazon refunded and said don't send back. a few months later the smell faded to nothing and now we use the case all the time.

Raisin

Post Thu, Jun 02 2016, 11:43 am
marina wrote:
what happened to the library in town?

There are often long waits for popular books in libraries. Not that it justifies that behavior.

dee's mommy

Post Thu, Jun 02 2016, 8:46 pm
Recently, I ordered some book ends, and when I got them, at first glance it seemed that they only sent one of them. I did the procedure to return, and I got the same message to keep the item and I would get a refund. On closer inspection after that, I realized that I mistakenly missed that the second book end was indeed part of the package. I contacted them to tell them what happened and asked to return the refund. (That is, I paid back the refund.). This was for an item that was only worth about six or seven Canadians dollars. Therefore, I would say that taking advantage of this situation is very shocking, and just not right.

Coffee Addict

Post Thu, Jun 02 2016, 10:36 pm
Op, you should be proud of your honesty and good middas!!

You are accepting so nicely what everybody said, cuz you want to do the right thing.

Hashem should bless you with lots of money!!!

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Jun 02 2016, 11:04 pm
I buy lots of things on Amazon and I return now and then.

How come I never saw "there is no need to return the item to us." ?

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Jun 02 2016, 11:16 pm
amother wrote:
I buy lots of things on Amazon and I return now and then.

How come I never saw "there is no need to return the item to us." ?

Yeah, lol, I never had that luck either. Guess it's kinda like a people who always win at chinese auctions and the people who never do thing.

WhatFor

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 1:38 am
Hey OP- Don't feel bad for asking the question. I think from a philosophical perspective, it's a perfectly legitimate question. It all depends on how one defines stealing.

Your question is basically asking: If I told X that I wanted to give Item 1 back to her, and she said, "Never mind, you can have it for free." Then I told X I wanted to give Item 2 back to her, and she said, "Never mind, you can have it for free." Am I allowed to tell X I want to return Item 3 to her to see if she'll give it to me for free?
Ultimately, it's dishonest because you don't really have an intention of returning Item 3. You are noticing that X is in a weaker position than you are in the current circumstances and you'd be exploiting that weaker position to your gain, which is dishonest and probably stealing. You're pretty much forcing her to choose between a bad decision and a worse decision.

I think it's healthy to question whether and why things are wrong. Please don't let people scare you into not asking questions.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions