Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Potato kugel with ground beef

LO

Post Fri, Feb 25 2011, 11:59 am
Somebody told me about a potato kugel that is made with ground beef, unlike Yapchik which I think is with flanken. I assume it's similar to shepherd's pie, just with a potato kugel batter. If anyone can post a recipe and instructions, I would be very grateful.
Also, please clarify if it's meant for the crockpot or oven. I would prefer the oven, so that I can freeze a few.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Feb 25 2011, 4:32 pm
tht sounds scrumptuous !!!

LO

Post Sun, Feb 27 2011, 9:54 am
It does.....that's why I'm trying so hard to find a recipe....Smile Anyone? Confused

yummydd

Post Sun, Feb 27 2011, 11:27 am
I have done it, I basically made my ground beef recipe (actually I used ground chicken as we prefer it) and I made my potatoe kugel recipe and like a sheperds pie layered ground beef then kugel and baked it.

LO

Post Sun, Feb 27 2011, 12:12 pm
Thanks for responding! Smile Could you post the ground beef recipe that you used - I don't have a good one....

Mitzvahmom

Post Sun, Feb 27 2011, 1:20 pm
sounds really yumm!

2cents

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 8:37 am
Bump

Can I make this in a crock pot for shabbos morning?

sourstix

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 9:17 am
Is this a new item I never heard of that's the new craze? It sounds yum I would try it with ground beef tho

rae

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 9:26 am
That's cute. My son made this for us over pesach. He mixed spices into ground beef and layered potato mixture, beef and potato mixture. Was really really good.

cbg

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 10:21 am
I've made this before.
I've also made it with cauliflower instead of potato kugel.

I beat 1or2 egg into the ground beef so that when I cut it it stays whole.

This is my recipe. Sorry I don't have measurements

1 potato kugel recipe for an 9x11 pan
Chop meat
Onion diced
Peppers, any color, diced
Garlic pressed or finely chopped
Green olives sliced, well drained, optional
Tomato paste
Salt
Pepper
Oregano optional
Any other spices you desire optional.Cinnamon is really good.
1-2 eggs depending how much you make

Grease a 9x11 pan. Or any size
Put 1/3 potato kugel
Bake 350 for about 15 min. until 1/2 way done, barely set.
Sometimes I skip this step.

In a deep frying pan sauté onions until desired carmalization. Then add peppers any color. Cook until the peppers are soft making sure the onions don't burn. Then add garlic, green olives, tomato paste, salt, pepper, and any desired seasoning. Take the can of tomato paste and fill with water, scrape down the sides to get out all the tomato paste. Add the water to the pan and stir well. Crumble chop meat into pan, and using a fork break up any large pieces. Sauté until meat is no longer pink. Taste and add more seasoning if needed. Let this mixture cool completely. The mix should not be too saucy, but moist.

At this point you can freeze the chop meat mixture. I use it for many things. Serve over rice or mash potatoes, to make meat lasagna, roll ups, moussaka, beefaroni, etc.

Beat 1or 2 eggs into cooled meat mixture. Pour into kugel pan, pour 2/3 kugel mix on top and bake at 350 until top kugel mix is completely cooked and the top is golden brown.

Freeze or serve.

Never put it in the crockpot, though.
I guess you can place it on top of the cholent, frozen, and let it heat up overnight, like you would any potato kugel.

I've made individual ones in muffin tins as well.

mfb

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 12:47 pm
Saute onions, add ground beef and saute until cooked.
Mix into potato kugel recipe put into deep 9x13 pan and bake one hour on 450, then lower to 250-275 for overnight baking.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes