Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Faith In G-d

meesi

Post Sun, May 15 2005, 5:21 am
I was just talking to a friend who has had a very difficult year and whose faith in G-d is badly shaken. It was in talking to her that I was able to put into words one of the reasons that my own faith is suddenly so strong now at age 35 when for most of my life I questioned G-d's existence. I would love to hear your views on this:

"Why do bad things happen to good people?" was always THE obstacle to my faith in G-d. I could never understand how if G-d really existed, the holocaust happened, innocent babies got sick or died, good people suffered, etc. Only very recently did I come to understand that no one ever said that G-d's purpose/goal was to protect good people from all bad things. That was just my own misconception. There has to be a force greater than us, and that is who/what G-d is to me. It has been my experience that the more I practice and learn about Judaism, the stronger my faith in G-d. However, I no longer expect that just because I try to be a good person that I will sail through life...

Chana

supermom

Post Sun, May 15 2005, 5:44 am
A person doesn't realize that everything Hashem does is for our good. He loves us so much that he doesn't want us to suffer in the next world. Why is it that we see so many non jews or even bad people enjoying life on this world while the good people are suffering dearly?

Hashem is doing this so that every little punishment that we get would take off another two minutes so to say in gehonom that we don't have to suffer. A person gets punished everyday for his sins. Like for example a person wants to take out of his wallet a five dollar bill but by mistake took out a twenty dollar bill this is a punishment from Hashem.

Hashem gives these small or big punishments because he loves us and wants to help us realize what we are doing wrong and wants us to correct our wrong doing. If a person only has good in his life, this alone I would be afraid of all the punishment he would get after he dies. So to sum it all up we should take a lot of our tzaras as Kaparot for our sins and not loose faith in Hashem because if we knew the bigger picture of it we would be saying Hallel everyday to thank Hashem for His kindness that is never ending.

Tefila

Post Sun, May 15 2005, 9:01 am
Supermom Thanks 4 putting my thought into words Smile

Motek

Post Sun, May 15 2005, 9:30 am
CanadianChana wrote:
"Why do bad things happen to good people?" was always THE obstacle to my faith in G-d. I could never understand how if G-d really existed, the holocaust happened, innocent babies got sick or died, good people suffered, etc.

then there's the other question which people don't tend to ask for some reason - how come good things happen to people?

meesi

Post Sun, May 15 2005, 9:51 am
I think that it comes back to the free will that Hashem has given us. Just like there is bad in the world because humans are capable of evil, there is good in the world because humans are capable of good.

Chana

meesi

Post Sun, May 15 2005, 10:00 am
As for the question of why we question the bad things that happen to us and not the blessings that we receive, I think that it is simply our "Yetzer Ha'Ra" that prevents us from questioning why G-d allows the good things to happen. Humans seem to have a sense of entitlement. That is also what prevents them from feeling gratitude for their blessings. They think that G-d owes them something because they are here. That is where a lot of evil stems from. Just my opinion, of course. What do you think?

Chana

AweSumThenSum

Post Sun, May 15 2005, 1:05 pm
I take comfort in the fact that good or bad (actually, bad as perceived by us as bad, but not really bad for us) it all comes from HaShem. people of faith boast that they stubbed their toe or slammed their elbow as a direct result of g-d's will, and that the fact that it happened, even if it hurt, means that g-d was thinking about them at that very moment. that's a real source of comfort and mental protection. knowing that THE highest power in the universe is thinking about ME???????? that's like major. imagine if president bush or pm blair thought about u every second of every day!! now mutliply that infintely by g-d's power and "stature/status" and u tell me how u can have anything BUT faith in g-d, and how u can take anything BUT comfort from anything that happens to u - be it perceived as good or bad.

supermom

Post Sun, May 15 2005, 3:21 pm
freilich wrote:
Supermom Thanks 4 putting my thought into words Smile

finally the oppisite is happening on this forum you usually talk for me!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics