Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Red throat/ strep in infant

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 9:50 am
9 month old has fever and red throat. My dr said shes teething badly but they don't test for strep at so young. What does this mean? I know she was exposed to strep (neighbor has it) so how will this go away on its own?

The Happy Wife

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 10:42 am
Some doctors test at that age, some don't. What I was told is that a) it's less likely for them to catch it at that age and b) there isn't the same risk or complications if left untreated.

It should clear up on its own. This is just what I was told by a few pediatricians.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 10:53 am
I have heard the same.

MyUsername

Post Thu, Jun 02 2016, 2:35 pm
Strep throat is very rare in kids under 2. That being said, strep throat can cause potentially severe complications. I would request to test anyway if the baby was exposed.

observer

Post Thu, Jun 02 2016, 3:10 pm
It's rare but it happens. I have had infants with strep.

amother
Green

Post Thu, Jun 02 2016, 8:12 pm
I'm a pediatric nurse.
Strep can typically go away on it's own, at any age, in a healthy person. However, in people 2 years of age and up, untreated strep can lead to rheumatic fever, which can have serious complications (eg. heart problems). [We have had a handful of children over the years with rheumatic fever.]
In infants, there is no risk in strep leading to rheumatic fever. Therefore, it's treated as if it's a virus and left for the body's immune system to fight off.

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 3:49 am
I'm a biologist and I work in medical research. And although what the nurse above said is pretty much the case, you should just be aware that rheumatic fever can occur in children under 3, it is just very very rare - so there is a risk, just a very very very small one. But since the effects of rheumatic fever can be so devastating, and are so easily preventable, I personally don't think that it's unreasonable to request a strep test just in case. Most likely, it will be viral anyway (strep is super uncommon in children under 2, and even less uncommon in children under a year), but I personally wouldn't want to take the chance.

vicki

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 4:05 am
Aqua - can you PM me?
I have some questions about your career as a biologist and your field of medical research.

observer

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 12:09 pm
Another thing to keep in mind is that if you have other children and your baby is carrying strep, the others can catch it and it can keep going around and around if the baby is not being treated.

greenfire

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 12:21 pm
do you see little white spots ? I've always seen this with strep

Stars

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 12:40 pm
observer wrote:
Another thing to keep in mind is that if you have other children and your baby is carrying strep, the others can catch it and it can keep going around and around if the baby is not being treated.

Yes to this. Our pediatrician finally treated my under two year old's strep because we were passing it back and forth between each other for weeks on end.

observer

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 2:02 pm
greenfire wrote:
do you see little white spots ? I've always seen this with strep
my kids have never gotten white spots with strep.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics