Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Keep trying, or just not meant to be?

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Jun 02 2016, 7:43 am
I struggle a lot with classroom management. I was let go after the first year of my first teaching job because of it. I figured it was just me being a rookie and Miraculously got another job and spent the summer attending workshops and reading all the best known books on classroom management. I struggled again this year. I reached out to older more experienced teachers and got some help and tried EVERYTHING, and I still couldn't manage the class properly. Now I just found out I'm not coming back next year. I really did want to be a teacher, but it seems I'm just not good at it no matter what I do. I think it may be time to call it quits and just find something else to do. Of course, being brought up with the mantra "you can do anything" and "if you don't succeed, try and try again", it's difficult to walk away , but 2 jobs in 2 years, well, I think that says something. Maybe it's just not for me. Thoughts?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Jun 02 2016, 7:47 am
I'm sorry it's so difficult for you right now.

Have you considered teaching a different grade or a smaller class?
Perhaps video yourself teaching now and have an experienced mentor look at it to see if anything in your body language needs adjusting.

On the other hand, I think you may feel happier and more successful in another field. You certainly sound like you gave teaching your best effort. Maybe it wasn't meant to be...

Hatzlacha with whatever you decide...

amother
Blush

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 12:57 am
I have the same problem as you do. You are not alone in this.

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 4:26 am
I had a similar problem except I stuck it out for 10 years (in various schools). It wasn't all bad, some of my students learned a lot and are grateful to this day. But overall it was a disaster and I'd come home wrung out completely. I would take things way too personally. I finally went into a different field that pays five times as much and I don't come home each day hating myself. You mental health and self worth are valuable too. It's okay to try something and then move on when you realize it's not for you.

cbg

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 4:41 am
Maybe you can find a job in a resource room, if you really love teaching.
Do you have the possibility to go back to school and get a SPED endorsement,
If the school is in great need, they may let you work with SPED students while you are getting endorsed.
Or perhaps teaching is not for you.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 6:37 am
Tangerine, may I ask what field you moved into?

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 6:58 am
amother wrote:
Tangerine, may I ask what field you moved into?

nursing. I am now an NP.

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 12:28 pm
Op here. Glad to know I'm not the only one who simply can't hack it as a teacher. In theory, I would love teaching if I had a class full of kids who always wanted to learn and either never acted up or acted up occasionally but responded as expected to the supposedly "tried and true" methods. I'm drained from spending more time managing behavior (mostly unsuccessfully) than teaching. And yes, it was a terrible blow to my self esteem. I feel guilty saying this, most people I know who left teaching swear they loved the kids and it was administrators and parents that did them in, but for me it was the kids. I was taken down by kids. Super embarrassing. But I do love working with them in theory. If I found a school where kids were better behaved, I might consider one more go of it. But this school touts themselves for their "warmth" and "focus on middos", and see how well that worked out...
I don't like any other age group, so changing grades wouldn't work. Not interested in special ed. I do have some other ideas of what I'd like to do, so I'm starting to look for jobs in those areas, but I'm also applying for teaching jobs because maybe three times will be a charm? But maybe I shouldn't bother and just cut my losses and focus entirely on a career change. Also, no further schooling, I already have 2 masters degrees.

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 12:36 pm
My sis teaches seminary. Less discipline issues, supposedly.

I taught computers for four years, which doesn't require so much decorum. The girls need to listen when you present the project or skill but then you're going around helping each girl at her computer.

But eventually got involved in s/t else. I never had that classroom presence...

OP I would suggest you go for some kind of vocational testing e.g. at your Jewish Family Services or local community college. They can help you identify your strengths.

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 1:26 pm
Op you sound like a very smart and ambitious person who likes to be successful at what you do. I was like that too. It seemed to me that the more successful teachers were born knowing things that I have yet to figure out. Yes it's a blow to your ego especially when you were raised with the idea that brains and hard work will get you everywhere. It's okay to be humbled Wink it will stand you by in life. It takes courage to try and courage to know when to quit. I don't regret a minute of my teaching experience but I'm glad I got out when I did.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics