Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
How do I know if skirt will cover my knee? (online shopping)

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 9:56 pm
I see a nice skirt online but I don't know how long it will be on me.
There is a measurement but I don't know where I have a tape measure at home.
It says "approx. 26 and 1/2 inches long" and "hits below knee"
But the model in the picture does not have it covering her knee. I know that they sometimes use really tall models though and it doesn't give her height.

What do you think? I know everyone is different but for a 5'4" person where do you estimate 26 1/2 inches will land?
Thanks!!

IF I do find a tape measure how do I measure? use a skirt I already have and see where it hits? does it have to be a same style skirt?

Maya

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 10:02 pm
Measure the length of one of your standard skirts and always use that number to compare with what you want to buy.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 10:06 pm
I'm 5'1 & my skirts are between 27-28 inches long & hits below the knee 4 inches.

BetsyTacy

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 10:47 pm
Measuring your own skirts is a great start. Please remember, though, that not all skirts sit at the same height-ones that fall lower down from the waist can be shorter while still providing enough coverage. It is important to look at the style too.

SmileUrJewish

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 10:49 pm
Mode-sty has an amazing guide that tells you how long skirts and dresses need to be in order to be the length you want! Here's the link:

http://blog.mode-sty.com/2013/......html

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 10:49 pm
Buy a tape measure. A yardstick will do for length. But you need a tape measure for your waist.

Put it where you will never wonder where it is.

Hold it at your natural waist and drop it. Now look to see where a skirt length you would like would fall out against the tape measure. Now you know yourself.

Take a skirt you have already and like, and measure from its waistband to its hem, straight down the middle of the front. This can be a little approximate. Don't worry.

If a skirt comes in the mail, and it's TOO long, your tailor can take care of that, easy peasy.

As you are 5'4" and the models are 5'10 or so, a skirt that shows her knee will cover yours.

If the website does not give the length in inches, it might not be a great website.

If you like a skirt online, order it in "Tall," and you will be getting the right waist for your size, but, you will be getting more length.

One can also go to websites especially for "Tall" women and get skirts. These will be longer skirts. The waist is fine if you order your size.

But always take a very good look at all measurements given in inches, and measure yourself with the tape measure. Often. People change. You might as well write your measurements on an index card and keep it with the tape measure in your drawer.

When you find a perfect skirt, get a lot of them. That particular skirt may be discontinued. This has happened. Oh yes. Get a FEW, quite a FEW, in black, grey, and all that. You will be looking great for years painlessly.

yksraya

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 10:50 pm
I'm 1/4" shorter then 5" and am high waisted, need skirts 21-23 inches long.

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 10:52 pm
How high up, or how low down, a person's waist is positioned along her length, varies from person to person. So nobody can know where a skirt of 26 inches will land on the leg of a 5'4" person. The person must measure herself. Every case will be different.

cnc

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 11:12 pm
They usually use 6 ft models.

baltomom

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 9:33 am
When I bought 25 inch skirts online, they fit my daughter who is 4 ft 10/11 fine (covering the knee well in all positions) but were too short for my daughter who is 2 inches taller.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 9:35 am
I'm 5 feet and my skirts are usually around 2-3 inches below my knee. I need skirts that are at least 23.5 inches.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 10:27 am
I'm 5'4". typically 27" skirts are okay, unless they are high waisted or tight. They aren't always 4" below the knee, but they typically cover my knee when sitting.

chanee

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 10:31 am
amother wrote:
I'm 5'1 & my skirts are between 27-28 inches long & hits below the knee 4 inches.

I'm 5'1 too and my skirts are 25-26. 27 inches are a bit longish on me.

STMommy

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 10:40 am
I'm 5'5" and 27 inches covers my knee standing but not sitting.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 8:32 pm
Where do you find decent quality 27" long skirts online?

Im not interested in skirts with an elastic waist, has to have a zipper, and I dont want skirts with flariness/gathers above the hip bone.

thanks

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 10:51 pm
If you cannot find a tape measure, floor tile is usually 1ft x 1ft, or the rectangle modern ones are 2ft x 1ft. I use them sometimes to get an estimate.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 11:01 pm
Can I get reasonable stylish skirts that are minimum 27" long, online?

(Im not interested in skirts with an elastic waist, has to have a zipper, and I dont want skirts with flariness/gathers above the hip bone).

cnc

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 11:06 pm
Search for midi skirts
They're very in now.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Jun 06 2016, 5:05 am
If it's a pencil skirt, take into concideration the skirt rides up when you sit.
Also, the bigger size skirts are longer, the same skirt in size 16 is longer than size 4.
Some skirts have extra hem to let down.
At 5'0, I use 26", I'm a size 8. for 5"4 it may be hitting it close.
If it rides up I let down the hem.

If it's free shipping, free return, order and return if it's no good.

For plain black pencil skirts, I order Kasper brand from Steinmart.

The skirts from banana republic, limited, Ann Taylor, loft, are usually too short for me
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics