Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Taking time off

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 11:10 am
We are planning to be away for 2-3 days next month. Do I need to ask my employer for permission- or can I just notify him? What's the general protocol for this?

mom2be1

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 12:50 pm
You have to ask. if someone else is taking off or it's a busy time they have a right to tell you no reschedule for another time.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 2:22 pm
As a manager there was nothing more that annoyed me than pple informing me that they were taking time off. Out of respect to my manager I always say I was planning my vacation and would like to take these days. Thanks for considering. Except when it comes to Yom Tov where I just says here are the dates of the Jewish Hollidays and I'll need to be out. But those I do months in advance (and at times all in January since those dates won't change)

bluebird

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 2:26 pm
amother wrote:
We are planning to be away for 2-3 days next month. Do I need to ask my employer for permission- or can I just notify him? What's the general protocol for this?

It depends on the office culture. I've worked places where you need to make a formal request, where you need to ask your manager (but in a casual way), or just put the time off on your calendar. I usually just ask my manager which they prefer, but if you're not sure just ask anyway.

I'd also take a look at work schedules/deadlines to see if your time off is going to have a serious impact, then make sure you finish work early so projects/people aren't delayed in their work.

Marion

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 7:56 pm
bluebird wrote:
It depends on the office culture. I've worked places where you need to make a formal request, where you need to ask your manager (but in a casual way), or just put the time off on your calendar. I usually just ask my manager which they prefer, but if you're not sure just ask anyway.

I'd also take a look at work schedules/deadlines to see if your time off is going to have a serious impact, then make sure you finish work early so projects/people aren't delayed in their work.

This. The thing I hated most was when a place I worked at went more formal (had to request the time off, preferably 30+ days in advance) but didn't have the infrastructure in place to support it (boss would frequently forget that he approved vacation when I would - out of courtesy - remind him a few days before or, worse, wouldn't give an answer for 2-3 weeks).

In my subsequent job I clarified what the expectations were surrounding time off - mostly keeping in mind that I take very little time off unless someone else schedules something and then the timing is generally out of my control. (I don't get to tell the school board when to conduct my son's placement meeting, or the OT when to schedule someone else's intake assessment...)

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Jun 06 2016, 8:16 am
bluebird wrote:

This. I worked in one office where you had to ask if you could take off x-y date. They usually said no (they did not give ANY vacation time, yes I quit after a year!) except in extreme circumstances such as a family simcha.

The office where I work now is a smaller more relaxed environment. We have a set amount of vacation days and when you want to take off you just notify the manager and boss and mark it in your calendar. We like some advance notification but generally we just tell them.

Since I am an executive assistant I usually ask my boss before making any plans if it is ok to take off x day. For example I just asked him if he prefers I take off Tue Wed or Thu this week. He will check his work load and let me know.

So yeah, really depends on your office.

sky

Post Mon, Jun 06 2016, 8:27 am
In my office out manual defines the rules.
We have to give 2 week notice, but if more can be given they appreciate it.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Jun 06 2016, 8:30 am
I Baruch Hashem work for a place that doesnt make me ask to take off. But out of respect, if I know I'm planning on taking off for a few days, I do give enough notice at least a week in advance. If I were to take off more than 3 days I would ask permission even though I know that answer would be "no problem"....my DH's place needs to give a few weeks notice prior to taking off . Each place is different.

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Jun 06 2016, 8:36 am
Thanks ladies.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics