Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Cooking for shavuos without a stove or oven!!!!!
Previous  1  2

sky

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 12:00 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Please don't use tealights in a closed oven. There have been numerous explosions from this method of food warming.

thank you for saying this. I thought it was a great idea until I saw your warning:

Quote:
Flash point is the temperature at which a candle or wax gives off enough vapor to ignite the air. Paraffin wax, which is the wax most tea light candles are made of, has a low melting point (about 130°F). If this liquid reaches the flash point, it will combust and create a flame, which then has the possibility to ignite all of the other tea lights in your oven. This could get extremely dangerous for several reasons: 1. It could be hard to put out. (You cannot blow on the candles as it could cause the liquid to spread, and water wouldn’t be your best option either due to splashing. Having a fire extinguisher handy would be your best bet.) 2. If the oven has been left unattended, it could catch nearby items on fire as well

According to the Fire Research Lab in Ammendale, MD, the Flash Point of a Paraffin Wax candle is between 204-271°C (or about 400-520°F). If your candles are in an enclosed area they can reach this point much quicker than they could if they were in an open area.

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Jun 02 2016, 6:17 am
ra_mom wrote:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/45954/roast-sticky-chicken-rotisserie-style/
Use a little more than half of this spice rub for 1 chicken in the crockpot and refrigerate overnight.
Place breast side down in the crockpot, cover and cook on low for 6.5 hours. Perfection.
You can do baby red potatoes underneath and the full meal comes out delicous but if you don't need the extra side dish I love the chicken itself when it creates its own juice and sits it in as it slow cooks.

You can put potatoes in a crock pot with no liquid but what what drips out of the chicken and they will cook through?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 02 2016, 7:37 am
MiracleMama wrote:
You can put potatoes in a crock pot with no liquid but what what drips out of the chicken and they will cook through?

Yes. I toss them with olive oil and some seasoning and it cooks through.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Jun 02 2016, 8:16 am
OP, do you have access to a safe outdoor area? Because if you want to cook on chag, you could consider getting disposable barbecue grills, and get a burger/wings/sausages meal in there somewhere...

N'sMom

Post Thu, Jun 02 2016, 8:32 am
Nope, Chartreuse. I live in Manhattan so I am barbecue deprived.

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Jun 02 2016, 9:18 am
ra_mom wrote:
Yes. I toss them with olive oil and some seasoning and it cooks through.

Always thought they needed liquid. Great to know. Thanks!!

2cents

Post Sat, Jun 04 2016, 11:04 pm
ra_mom wrote:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/45954/roast-sticky-chicken-rotisserie-style/
Use a little more than half of this spice rub for 1 chicken in the crockpot and refrigerate overnight.
Place breast side down in the crockpot, cover and cook on low for 6.5 hours. Perfection.
You can do baby red potatoes underneath and the full meal comes out delicous but if you don't need the extra side dish I love the chicken itself when it creates its own juice and sits it in as it slow cooks.

I made this for shabbos night and it was so so good! Absolutely delicious!! Thanks!

ra_mom

Post Sat, Jun 04 2016, 11:06 pm
2cents wrote:
I made this for shabbos night and it was so so good! Absolutely delicious!! Thanks!

So glad to hear! We love it too!

shaini

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 6:41 pm
For preparing for yom tov, not re-heating use a microwave. You can easily make rice/pasta in the microwave etc.

fromnj

Post Mon, Jun 06 2016, 10:56 am
I'm considering getting a dairy crock pot. My sil gave me a recipe for crock pot lasagna

N'sMom

Post Mon, Jun 06 2016, 11:58 am
Please share the recipe!! I would say there is no food item my family is as upset about not having this year on shavuos as lasagne!

fromnj

Post Mon, Jun 06 2016, 10:25 pm
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/1.....agna/

It's this one. I'm going to try it (without the ground beef, obvs). I'll probably use ricotta cheese instead of cottage. I have used Morningstar farms crumbles instead of ground beef for lasagna, but my kids prefer plain cheese.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics