Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Cheescake in israel

WastingTime

Post Tue, May 31 2011, 11:10 am
I have a very regular yummy cheesecake but it needs cream cheese. as its a bit pricey here and ive tasted good ones made with out, I would like to try to make with gevina levana. any good recipes? then again I can always make my own cream cheese from sour cream, but I dont like to deal with too many procedures! thanks!

Shuly

Post Tue, May 31 2011, 11:20 am
Best Cheesecake Ever!

½ cup sugar
500 grams of 5% gevina levana
1 heaping Tblsp flour
1 package vanilla sugar
3 eggs

Mix with a spoon and pour into pie crust (ready made or homemade)

Bake at 350 F/180 C for 40 minutes

Let cool for a few minutes.

Combine:
1 (yogurt-sized) container 15% shamenet
1 heaping Tblsp sugar
1 package vanilla sugar

Spread on top of cake and bake for another 10 minutes.

Hashemlovesme

Post Tue, May 31 2011, 1:54 pm
this one is so easy, inexpensive & sooooo creamy! (tastes like good 'ol American cheesecake)

mix together:
2 s. gevina levanas/5%
1 shomenet
2 eggs
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. flour
1 tsp vanilla

use a grahm cracker crust or
1 pkg biscuits-ground in good procesor
1 oz margarine
2 Tbsp sugar

(I bake the crust for a bit first)
bake @ 350f (170ish c) for 1/2 hr

it's really yummy & pretty w/ cherry pie filling on top

piegirl

Post Tue, May 31 2011, 11:42 pm
do you use shamenet metuka or chamutza for these recipes?

mizle10

Post Tue, May 31 2011, 11:49 pm
Where do you find cream cheese here? Even if it's pricey, I would buy for yom tov:)

chanchy123

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 12:01 am
Strain your gvine levana, put your gvina levana in a cloth diper or on a heavy duty paper towl on top of a sieve, let it drain into a bowl for a few hours or over night - best done with sour cream as well.

You will get a grea consistancy and higher fat precentage - subsitute for cream cheese in any recipe.

Also - to the poster who asked about cream cheese you can get it at any store it's called gvinat shament and comes in a tub.

The bigger chains (like Mega) carry Philedelphia brand creamcheese.

piegirl

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 12:02 am
I make my own creamcheese- shamenet chamutza (you can find high fat ones now) with some salt in a stocking to drain. I keep it in my fridge, some people put it over the sink.

citrus

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 12:06 am
hey I thought I was the only one having difficulty with my cheesecake!!

Liba

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 1:39 am
Gad makes cream cheese. It is called gvina shomenet and it can be bought at the cheese counter in most major grocery stores. They sell it in Rami Levi in Beitar. Smile It is under the hashgacha of Rav Ruben.

Isramom8

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 3:58 am
Thanks, I wanted a couple of simple Israeli recipes!

Tamiri

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 4:11 am
4sons wrote:
I have a very regular yummy cheesecake but it needs cream cheese. as its a bit pricey here and ive tasted good ones made with out, I would like to try to make with gevina levana. any good recipes? then again I can always make my own cream cheese from sour cream, but I dont like to deal with too many procedures! thanks!
Why don't you sign up for the yahoo group Israel-food. This exact subject is being discussed there these days! In case you want to make your own healthy cream cheese, simply drain containers of sour cream with a high fat content, in a cheese cloth. After 24 hours you will be left with dense cream cheese which tastes better than gvina levana, of course. If you want to use gvina levana, one group member (who knows her stuff) mentioned that it's made from milk powder or something. She suggests draining it before use so that you don't have to thicken it with gelatin or flour.

Tamiri

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 4:12 am
mizle10 wrote:
Where do you find cream cheese here? Even if it's pricey, I would buy for yom tov:)
Supermarket. Some carry Kraft (Philadelphia). Others carry a brand called Raskus (IIRC) marketed by Alaska (also IIRC).

grace413

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 7:10 am
IMHO, Napoleon cream cheese works just as well as Philadephia (and it's half the price).

Liba

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 7:14 am
the Gad stuff really works too, tastes the same, and is cheaper than the napolian. You just need to ask for it at the cheese counter.

Hippi Dippi

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 7:51 am
This is a really awesome recipe for cheesecake made with gvina levana. The key to making creamy (not spongey!) cheesecake with gvina levana is to leave the cheesecake to cool completely in the oven:

1 container (250g) 5% gvina levana
1 container (250 g) 9% gvina levana
1 c sugar
2 eggs
1 T flour
1 T vanilla extract

Mix. Pour into pie crust or regular pie pan without a crust and bake at 175C for 30 minutes.
VERY IMPORTANT: Don't take the cheesecake out after 30 minutes of baking! Let it cool with the oven off for a long time (at least a few hours). The longer the better. Refrigerate. Tastes better the 2nd and 3rd day (if there is one).

Note: I have made this using goat cheese, 1/2 the sugar, and whole wheat flour with excellent results. This year I will experiment with honey--I'll keep you posted!

temimusdik

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 2:24 am
@Hippi Dippi,
I know this was from quite some time ago but maybe you'll remember as this time of year is approaching again Smile
What kind of goat cheese did you use?
And did you ever make a good recipe with honey?? I'd love to hear about it and amounts!!
thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen