Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
What would you do?
Previous  1  2

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 4:26 am
greenfire wrote:
staying calm was the best thing you could do ... especially knowing how cranky crying babies could get everyone around

I'm thinking he is asking for negative attention by throwing the toy and waking up the baby ~ like flowerpower above it is best to make homework time 'mommy & me' time

He is definitely asking for attention. He was actually punishing me by throwing the you and waking the baby. He was upset that I took his candy away

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 7:05 am
Is he allowed to chew gum, and does he like it?

DD has a hard time sitting still and concentrating, but if I gave her gum she would have some stimulus that helped her calm down and center her. Otherwise, I didn't let her have any gum at any other time. Gum with Xylitol helps control cavities, too, so that's a bonus.

Just a wild suggestion, but it worked for us.

imanewmom2010

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 7:27 am
My ds is 6 and what works well for him(prob boarder line ADHD) after each row he gets a chocolate chip if he reads whole thing without stopping or gets to color each word he reads. Makes it more fun, doesn't always get him to do it so nicely but def helps

seeker

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 7:36 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
He is definitely asking for attention. He was actually punishing me by throwing the you and waking the baby. He was upset that I took his candy away

Do you think "punishing you" is a manipulation attempt or is it just an inappropriate expression of his upset feelings? Maybe your mommy instinct on that can guide your response.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 8:46 am
I have an 8 year old DD who has a mind of her own. So I let her make choices. I discuss with her what needs to be done and when she will do it. We had a night where she played first, ate supper, played some more, and then scrambled with homework. I had a talk with her about that, and the next night she chose to do her homework right away before playing. Other days she wants to play but knows she will have to come in to do it. I remind her before she goes out that there's homework, and when do you plan to do it?

The only note I will ever write about h.w. not being done is something like "Dear Morah, Sarala chose to play and it was too late to do her h.w." My kids know that, and I've never had to write that note.....

sky

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 9:42 am
You sound like you are doing great.

My son is 8 - I also let them play first and then do homework before bed time - they need to get their energy out and we aren't going out late.

but I treat the playing first and homework after as a 'privilege'. If the homework doesn't get done then you have to do homework first the next day.

Also can you get the teacher involved. My son knows that if he does not do homework the rebbe is 'happy' to do it with him at the start of recess (this is for repeat offenders or if the parents ask for help). this is helpful that it keeps me from being the bad guy. It sounds bad, but really isn't, hebrew homework is pretty fast at this age.

My 6 year old daughter's teacher instituted a contest for the spring that if you do homework when your mother asks for the week, even if you are playing you get a prize. I like it because it is very positive. Perhaps you can do something like that at home.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children