Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Do your children make their beds in the morning

magenta

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 1:55 am
I wasn't sure if this should go under household management or parenting. But if I would enforce it, it would be because I want to teach them responsibility. I wouldn't do it just to make my morning clean up easier, I have enough time and energy to do it myself.

Do you think it's reasonable to expect kids to make their beds in the morning before/after they get ready for school? If yes what age would be appropriate to start?

Teomima

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 2:04 am
I fully appreciate that every parent (person) has to put priority to what they deem important, and respect those that care about beds being made.
That said, to me, it is one of the biggest wastes of time. They don't make their beds, nor do I. I honestly see no point. My kids have plenty of other ways to demonstrate responsibility, and plenty of other things to do with their time. As do I. In my opinion, as it applies to me and my household, there is no purpose for a made bed.

salt

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 2:17 am
Teomima wrote:
I fully appreciate that every parent (person) has to put priority to what they deem important, and respect those that care about beds being made.
That said, to me, it is one of the biggest wastes of time. They don't make their beds, nor do I. I honestly see no point. My kids have plenty of other ways to demonstrate responsibility, and plenty of other things to do with their time. As do I. In my opinion, as it applies to me and my household, there is no purpose for a made bed.

I agree. I sometimes make my bed, sometimes not. I would not ask my kids to make their beds. My 7 yr old does actually make his bed. He folds his pyjamas up so cutely, one piece on either side of his pillow.
But if it's something that's important to you, I think you can ask them to if they have the time in the morning. It is very hard for kids to fold up a blanket or the like, since it's much bigger than them. But I guess from about age 7 or 8 they could have a go. It make not look as tidy as when you do it, I wouldn't make a fuss about that.
(My 5 year old once set the table, and the napkins were so scrunched up, but I stopped myself, I didn't say anything!)

For some positive re-enforcement you could leave a little note on their pillow that they'll see when the go to bed at night saying how nice and tidy and cosy their bed looks.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 4:40 am
Ha! Guess I'm not the only one! I don't make my own bed, so no, I don't expect it of my kids (and I don't make theirs either). If you make your own though, then I guess you can expect them to do theirs. No idea what age though.

littleprincess

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 6:20 am
I don't expect my kids to make their beds just because I like the way I make it. Neat and straight. I do ask them to fold their pijamas or put them in the laundry hamper and they help with other things around the house like clearing the table (I have a glass table so they spray and wipe it), wiping dishes, sweeping floors etc...

I have time and could do all of it myself but I find it important to teach them responsibility.

chani8

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 6:54 am
I dont get how this teaches responsibility.

It teaches bed making.

cm

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 7:54 am
I don't care much about daily bed-making and our morning routines are challenging enough as it is, but I do believe everyone who lives in a house should contribute to its upkeep.

My child learned to do her own laundry, strip and remake her bed on laundry day and clean her bathroom during grade school. I don't remember the exact age for each task, sorry. She also learned basic food prep skills and I don't think I have packed a lunch for her since mid-grade school.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children