Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Keeping things fresh from Friday to Monday

fromnj

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 11:48 am
I have guests coming for lunch Shabbos and Monday. For Shabbos I'm going to do my usual stuff. But for Monday, I'm worried that the food I buy/make on Friday will not be fresh. If I buy a quarter of a watermelon, I don't think it is going to be so great by Monday. I was going to make Gazpacho for both meals (and extra for in between) but I'm afraid the veggies will turn by Monday. And there is no way fresh fish bought on Friday is going to be good on Monday. How are people dealing with this?

loveandpeace

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 12:35 pm
If you marinade your fish it can last up to a week

pause

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 12:39 pm
My cut watermelon is wrapped in saran wrap and lasts for a week. Watermelon cubes in an airtight container can last at least 2-3 days. My cooked fish lasts 5 days in the fridge. (up to a week from when it was purchased)

tichellady

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 1:06 pm
I wouldn't serve fish. Many people do but I don't like fish that isn't very fresh. My mother in law freezes it and then defrosts and broils right before lunch and it's ok that way.
I would serve things that can last well. I think gazpacho would be fine- just don't put in red onion or garlic until Monday morning because the flavor might get too overpowering If it sits that long. Chicken and meat will keep fine or lasagna and quiche. Melons should keep fine in the fridge. Or just buy sorbet. some sides that can be made in advance and keep well: sesame noodles, marinated mushrooms, cucumber salad, beet salad, Moroccan carrot salad.

Queen6

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 1:58 pm
Buy your vegetables from Costco - they will last very long. If you can't - keep your fruits and vegetables whole and only cut before use.
As far as food - what temperature is your oven on? Maybe you can keep the food in the freezer raw and then bake fresh. Or try to switch up your menu a little bit to more practical.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 3:37 pm
Make foods that store well.
Items that freeze well should stay in the freezer until the day before and reheat fresh (like challah, soup, sliced meat, egg noodle dishes like orzo or cabbage and bow ties).
Make poached or pickled fish that stays fresh and tastes good a few days later.
Keep vegetables in the crisper and cut salad fresh that morning. Or make salads that keep well for a few days like cole slaw, cucumber salad, marinated salad.
Serve frozen dessert.
And if you have a gas burner you can turn it on using an existing flame, make some fresh food and leave it for the rest of the day until YT is over that night and you can turn it off.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 5:25 pm
I'm making lasagna that I froze and will defrost sunday night for Monday lunch. Monday dinner I'm making meatballs I'm defrosting Monday. I'll make a greensalad and I am getting whole melons so they last longer.

questioner

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 11:05 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Make foods that store well.
Items that freeze well should stay in the freezer until the day before and reheat fresh (like challah, soup, sliced meat, egg noodle dishes like orzo or cabbage and bow ties).
Make poached or pickled fish that stays fresh and tastes good a few days later.
Keep vegetables in the crisper and cut salad fresh that morning. Or make salads that keep well for a few days like cole slaw, cucumber salad, marinated salad.
Serve frozen dessert.
And if you have a gas burner you can turn it on using an existing flame, make some fresh food and leave it for the rest of the day until YT is over that night and you can turn it off.

Do you have recipes for fish that will last well?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 11:53 pm
Poached salmon
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....art=0

Cream sauce salmon
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....87069

Pickled salmon
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....94443

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 12:38 am
I've seen other people asking this on Facebook too. There is a HUGE different in produce quality depending on where you buy it. Go for the better stuff, and you won't have that issue. Also maybe look into how to store things properly.

cheeseblintz

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 11:06 am
I'm planning on serving teriyaki salmon on Monday and my plan is to cook it on Thursday, freeze it, and defrost Sunday night.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics