Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Sending 1 1/2 yr old to babysitter

muss

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 11:36 am
I'm thinking of sending my will be 1 1/2 yr old to a babysitter this coming up year. It will for sure be a major change for her since she had me and my dh home with her all day playing with her. She needs our attention the whole time with us playing on the floor with her. It is very hard. We don't get a minute break.
Question is, will it be better for us to start slowly like 2-3 times a week and then eventually add more days or is it better if she has a schedule and knows that everyday she's going there?
Also is there anything we can do until we send her to make it easier for us to deal with her everyday so she's not so needy?
Tia

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 1:49 pm
How are you and dh both home with her all day until now?

mha3484

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 1:56 pm
I think 1 1/2 is a great age to go to a babysitter. My son is that age now and I am thinking about sending him a few mornings a week after the summer. I think he will like being with older children.

muss

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 2:14 pm
amother wrote:
How are you and dh both home with her all day until now?

My dh works from home so he's not really so available to play but he does here and there since he's more flexible

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 2:29 pm
I like to send around the time they drop their nap. That's usually 1 1/2 to 2years. I don't like to pay someone to watch my kid sleep if I'm home anyway.
If he's starting to nap less, then send him on the no-nap days.

I see the attention he's demanding of you as the need for social. He will likely love being with other kids. Even if they're babies.

muss

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 2:32 pm
The question is, is it better for the child to start off slowly or go everyday? If they go sometimes is it confusing for them because sometimes they're home and sometimes not?

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 3:02 pm
At that age I would only send 3 half days a week if you're a sahm.

littleprincess

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 3:12 pm
I recently started at 22 months. At first I left ds there for 1 hour and slowly built it up. At some days he cried more than others so I picked him up earlier. Now he loves it and runs in to the house.

MyUsername

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 4:49 pm
I started sending my daughter at 1.5. It was great! It took her a few days to adjust, and then she was fine. I strongly believe in sending every day - that way, the child is not confused about who is taking care of her when, or even a more basic one about whether she's going back to the babysitter. Consistency is really the key and I found that every day works best, because the child knows exactly what to expect each and every morning. If you're nervous about throwing her into it, you could try to do shorter days for the first few days, increasing by an hour every day (I wouldn't do several days that are half-days in a row, because then the first time you pick her up late, she'll notice).

My daughter loves going and has a really special relationship with the babysitter. I also worried about her not having enough personalized attention, but there are other kids there and playing with them takes away the need for constant close attention (though she obviously gets close attention part of the time from the babysitter, and the babysitter is always right there even if she's not directly interacting).

If you want to help her adjust to being left with other people, I recommend having a someone come watch her in your house for an hour or two - so she gets used to the idea of you leaving and coming back. But for some kids, this makes them more anxious, and also might be harder to transition from one babysitter to another.

But, in the end, your kid will be just fine! 1.5 is such a great age to send them out, because they are so ready to be social with other people Smile

muss

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 5:56 pm
MyUsername wrote:
I started sending my daughter at 1.5. It was great! It took her a few days to adjust, and then she was fine. I strongly believe in sending every day - that way, the child is not confused about who is taking care of her when, or even a more basic one about whether she's going back to the babysitter. Consistency is really the key and I found that every day works best, because the child knows exactly what to expect each and every morning. If you're nervous about throwing her into it, you could try to do shorter days for the first few days, increasing by an hour every day (I wouldn't do several days that are half-days in a row, because then the first time you pick her up late, she'll notice).

My daughter loves going and has a really special relationship with the babysitter. I also worried about her not having enough personalized attention, but there are other kids there and playing with them takes away the need for constant close attention (though she obviously gets close attention part of the time from the babysitter, and the babysitter is always right there even if she's not directly interacting).

If you want to help her adjust to being left with other people, I recommend having a someone come watch her in your house for an hour or two - so she gets used to the idea of you leaving and coming back. But for some kids, this makes them more anxious, and also might be harder to transition from one babysitter to another.

But, in the end, your kid will be just fine! 1.5 is such a great age to send them out, because they are so ready to be social with other people Smile

Thanks that's what I was wondering about if it will be confusing for them that sometimes yes going and sometimes not

amazingmommy

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 6:32 pm
Your baby will be okay, if you give her the message that she is okay.. And that you trust the babysitter and that you feel comfortable with this babysitter. Listen to your gut.
I also think you should send her out every day, but start with less hours and then build up. You might want to stay there with her the first few times, for you and her to feel comfortable...

You sound like a great mommy!!

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 7:46 pm
So I guess I'm a minority but every day is a lot to me at that age. I sent my baby 3 mornings a week and was happy with that.

Stars

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 8:38 pm
I don't know what I would do in your shoes but I just have to throw this out there. A child that age can understand "today we are staying home with mommy" and "mommy will take you to school today" . I found that if I explain it to my son when he wakes up , he's fine with whatever is happening. If I don't and just rush through the morning, he will cry.

TeachersNotebook

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 12:01 am
I don't think you need to send every day to promote consistency. If your weekly routine is consistent, then they still get the benefits. As the previous poster said- today we're going, today we're not. Every week has the same pattern.

It's helpful if the days are spaced throughout the week. Going Mon, Tue every week leaves five days for DC to forget about school. But Tue, Thu every week is a consistent routine that DC will thrive on.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics