Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Question for those who do sheitels?

le cure

Post Sun, May 29 2016, 12:08 pm
what is the best curling iron you use in order to have the longest lasting curl in your sheitels? I found that my curling wand works best but I would like a curling iron to last as long, as it produces a different shaped curl.
thanks for ur insight!

TeachersNotebook

Post Sun, May 29 2016, 10:15 pm
I'm not sure I've come across "the best" curling iron. (Though now I'm following the thread to find out Smile) I just think a higher heat setting (up to 350), and a longer amount of time per curl (probably not longer than 35 seconds to avoid burning) helps the curl keep the shape. Also, doing smaller amounts of hair at a time helps.

I offer free touch ups for my clients in between wash-and-sets, because I know how fast these sheitels fall Sad

mom2dkay

Post Sun, May 29 2016, 11:32 pm
TeachersNotebook wrote:
I'm not sure I've come across "the best" curling iron. (Though now I'm following the thread to find out Smile) I just think a higher heat setting (up to 350), and a longer amount of time per curl (probably not longer than 35 seconds to avoid burning) helps the curl keep the shape. Also, doing smaller amounts of hair at a time helps.

I offer free touch ups for my clients in between wash-and-sets, because I know how fast these sheitels fall Sad

That's really impressive!
Everyone I've ever used charges for a touch up, even if it takes her 45 seconds....

Iymnok

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 4:59 am
Is there a serum or spray that helps it hold?

sprayonlove

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 6:46 am
When I let my sheitel air dry instead of blow drying the curls stay for so long. I don't use hairspray I just add a shine serum.

le cure

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 8:46 pm
ok so I make sure to iron over the hairspray it really holds the curl and protects the hair from damage, and my curling wand is amazing its the amika 4p from sephora. if anyone is looking for their own remedy from this thread so this is my advice, but I am still looking to find out what curling IRON as opposed to wand bec I feel the curl outcome is completely different. I bought the hot tools gold, then I returned it and got the touramline ceramic, they both hold similiarly which is I would say decently. idk holla if u got a better curling iron I should try

sprayonlove

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 3:29 am
I also have much better results with a wand. When you say a different kind of curl could that be accomplished with a different barrel size?

amother52

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 9:37 am
I use a babyliss curling iron.

le cure

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 2:52 pm
sprayonlove wrote:
I also have much better results with a wand. When you say a different kind of curl could that be accomplished with a different barrel size?

right so I totally hear the thought, I tried it out, but the curl with a wand has a bit more of a 'wave' to it than with a curling iron where the curl comes out more 'round' idk if my description is good but thats just what I found from my experience with the two. if im going for a more elegant look il use the curling iron, if im going for a more young or beachy look im going with the wand

le cure

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 2:53 pm
amother52 wrote:
I use a babyliss curling iron.

are u happy w? do the curls last? how high a temp does it get to and what material are the plates that u use? (ceramic, metal...)

le cure

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 10:46 am
just wanted to share the discovery I just had in solving this issue!
use less/no conditioner
use mousse in the hair when it is wet/damp and MASSAGE it in the hair so it is evenly distributed
let air dry
wands are better bec curlers tend to straiten before curling
hold the wand for up to 30 secs and hold the curl before it drops and let it cool first, even spray it if u need to

...ok good luck ladies I just tried this 'formula' and I have to say it really worked out!

PassionFruit

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 11:51 am
You are going to permanently damage your shaitle. Rule number one is shaitle machering is never never never use heat without heat protectant. This is true for blow drying as well, but a curling iron is even more important. 5 seconds on high heat with a curling iron and no product can literally singe your shatile and it will look awful after the next wash. Many brands write on the bottle up to what temp they protect against. I look for one that goes to 230 C or 410 F. It is ok to put hairspray as well, but only after heat protectant. You should NOT use no conditioner. Put it this way: A shaitle is dead to begin with. You are trying to do as little as possible and be as gentle as possible with it so it lasts. You can NOT treat it like hair, because hair is alive and new hairs grow in to replace the damaged hair. I leave the conditioner in for a minute before rinsing out, and do a hair mask every 3rd time. My shaitle look brand new and it is seven years old. If you want the curls to be stronger and last longer, you need to set it while it is wet in curlers and pincurls and put the curlers and pincurls in between each was n set. You want to use as little heat as necessary. Yes, it is possible to learn to do your shaitle yourself, but I would want to have lessons before ruining my 2000+ dollar item that is not so easily replaced. Perhaps a shaitle macher will give you lessons and you can pay her by the hour? It is well worth your while to invest some money now to keep your shaitle in good shape yourself.

I use a babyliss as well. I am not crazy about it but it does the job. I find the clamp a bit too tight.

willymom

Post Tue, Jul 26 2016, 9:17 am
Its so interesting that u say a wand lasts longer. .I'm a sheitel macher and in my experience I have found the opposite ..definitely look up a YT tutorial how to set ur curls in pincurls when u curl it..will last wayyy longer

dina22

Post Tue, Aug 09 2016, 3:15 am
TeachersNotebook wrote:

Up to 35 seconds?? you just burnt ur wig! Never hold the hair in the iron for more than 10 seconds! I use babyliss and I am very happy with them. Beware if you purchase on Amazon, as there are some that are fakes, and therefore don't work as well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels