Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
How to best slice a roast
Previous  1  2

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 1:12 pm
Maya wrote:
I used to do that in Williamsburg, but the stores here in Monsey don't do it, for the reason that Bizzy mentioned.

Continental that used to be in Monsey Kosher Plaza used to do it, I'm not sure if they still do, as they are now in Hatzlacha

gp2.0

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 1:19 pm
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
I always refrigerate my roasts overnight and slice it the next morning. I use a sharp knife, cutting board and cut against the grain...I'm always successful, but I use alot of physical energy when I slice. I'm always huffing and puffing by the time I'm done and my carpal tunnel acts up from pressing so hard on the knife. I always think of getting an electric knife just to make it easier, but a regular knife works just as well!!!

How big is your knife? My 8 inch chefs knife is awesome. My wrist used to hurt me while cutting with a smaller knife and it doesn't anymore.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 1:28 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
How big is your knife? My 8 inch chefs knife is awesome. My wrist used to hurt me while cutting with a smaller knife and it doesn't anymore.

I use quite a large chef's knife...for all you know I'm not using the knife properly and it's putting pressure in the wrong part of my hand...I was never taught the proper technique of how to use a knife properly, that could be my problem.

gp2.0

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 1:32 pm
Well it's also possible that the joints in your hands are more sensitive overall...how often do you sharpen the knife? Maybe that's the issue...

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 1:36 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
Well it's also possible that the joints in your hands are more sensitive overall...how often do you sharpen the knife? Maybe that's the issue...

Before I slice roasts or things like that my DH or DS sharpen the knife for me...(they enjoy doing that for some reason), so it's quite sharp. I think it's my hands, I do have carpal tunnel syndrome, so it's more sensitive.

wantavaca

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 1:45 pm
Sometimes I slice them straight out of the oven and serve right away. It has a very natural yummy feel.

gp2.0

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 1:54 pm
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
Before I slice roasts or things like that my DH or DS sharpen the knife for me...(they enjoy doing that for some reason), so it's quite sharp. I think it's my hands, I do have carpal tunnel syndrome, so it's more sensitive.

In that case, have your DH or DS slice the meat for you too...most guys love doing that too LOL

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 1:58 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
In that case, have your DH or DS slice the meat for you too...most guys love doing that too LOL

You are right about that ! I dont want them doing the slicing because I'm fanatic with getting very thin slices and I just do it better! Very Happy ...but you've got a point!

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 2:27 pm
SS6099 wrote:
Which one do you have?

Black and Decker. I like it the best because the shape is like a regular knife and it's easier to use.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics