Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
I think your fundraiser is ridiculous - leave me alone!

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 3:50 pm
I can't understand the logic of our school's bake sale. Everybody bakes something(s) then everybody who baked also buys something somebody else baked.

So let's say I spend $5 on ingredients and make something simple. They will sell it to somebody else for $18. How about I save myself the patchka and just hand you the $18?

I mean, I don't even understand how this is a fundraiser. Everyone just buying each others cakes and cookies. Same money would be raised if everyone would just fork over a few dollars and nobody would have to waste all the time shopping, baking, packaging, setting up tables to sell, etc.

All these other mothers are so excited and I feel like a big party pooper but really I just don't see the logic here. Am I the only one with better things to do? Especially erev yom tov?

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 3:58 pm
I agree it's a pain Erev Yom Tov.

Other than that, people tend to be more enthusiastic handing over that $18 if they have some fun while at it, and get to sample someone's delicious creations while they are at it. They feel better about giving the school an extra $18.

Dandelion1

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 4:10 pm
Also the factor of it being an event. Some people come because they like going to events, some because they feel compelled to, some because they'd like participate in a fun baking project, etc.

But if you called it the "Show up for 5 minutes and hand us an $18 check" event, you probably wouldn't get much of a turnout.

Last edited by Dandelion1 on Wed, Jun 08 2016, 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

MitzadSheini

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 4:14 pm
I agree. (ETA with the op). (and with those who say people won't just hand over $. That is also true). I think it's different if the kids are buying them at recess to eat at school though. Then it turns into something to look forward to, a worthwhile event. Also at our school only one year group does it at a time so you are selling to "other" people. I think that makes a big difference.

But how about this one from gan- (sorry really not trying to '1up' you)

Everyone has to be in the birthday club. (ok don't * have * to be, but it is kind of expected). The idea is to get rid of kids getting too many birthday presents. In the "club" everyone gives the birthday child $10. And then to make it easier they set up a bank account system so you can just deposit the money, $10 each time to a different account. Oh... And the other unwritten expectation - that everyone will invite the whole class to the party. So what happens? Every few weeks you have to patchke on the computer doing the deposit, and when your child has his party, you get it all back

Net result - you may as well withdraw $150 from your own bank account and pay it back to yourself. Absolutely. Totally. Utterly. Ridiculous waste of time.

Dandelion1

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 4:24 pm
mtzadhasheini wrote:
I agree. (ETA with the op). (and with those who say people won't just hand over $. That is also true). I think it's different if the kids are buying them at recess to eat at school though. Then it turns into something to look forward to, a worthwhile event. Also at our school only one year group does it at a time so you are selling to "other" people. I think that makes a big difference.

But how about this one from gan- (sorry really not trying to '1up' you)

Everyone has to be in the birthday club. (ok don't * have * to be, but it is kind of expected). The idea is to get rid of kids getting too many birthday presents. In the "club" everyone gives the birthday child $10. And then to make it easier they set up a bank account system so you can just deposit the money, $10 each time to a different account. Oh... And the other unwritten expectation - that everyone will invite the whole class to the party. So what happens? Every few weeks you have to patchke on the computer doing the deposit, and when your child has his party, you get it all back

Net result - you may as well withdraw $150 from your own bank account and pay it back to yourself. Absolutely. Totally. Utterly. Ridiculous waste of time.

Oy lol.... We had the same system at bat mitzvah time.... Everyone got the identical amount of money from each other in the same sort of system you describe.....

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 5:01 pm
Some of my DD's high school classes collected money right after graduation to pay for a gift for each kallah (I think in those days it was enough for a Kitchen Aid mixer.)

The idea was to collect it then because by the time the last few girls get married e/o has lost touch or is busy raising a family & out of extra money.

I don't know if they're still doing it...

Or - wait! How about this one? You are asked by your childs' school to be honored by at their dinner. Thereby requiring many friends and relations to fork out for an ad. Thereby requiring you to fork out for an ad for them when it's their turn to be honored. So if you can afford to just give the school big bucks, do it now. If not, you'll be paying it out over the next several years!

groisamomma

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 5:08 pm
$18 is a lot of money to spend at one bake sale. The classes in my school take turns holding their bake sales. The kids bring baked goods either bought or made at home and everything costs $1 during lunchtime. You wouldn't believe how much money comes in that way.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 5:24 pm
groisamomma wrote:
$18 is a lot of money to spend at one bake sale. The classes in my school take turns holding their bake sales. The kids bring baked goods either bought or made at home and everything costs $1 during lunchtime. You wouldn't believe how much money comes in that way.

It's not buying one cookie or one brownie - it's buying a whole cake, a tray of brownies, a tin of cookies, etc. And it's not for the kids. It's the mothers buying to supposedly serve for yom tov. But personally I would never buy anything. The school has a big mix of families and I wouldn't feel comfortable with the kashrus from many homes. I also don't like not knowing ingredients. Or wondering if someone's 3 yr old was sticking her fingers into the frosting bowl as mommy was frosting the cake. But all that is entirely beside the point. The point is that it's so much effort for so little return and the money just comes from our own pockets anyhow.... so why not just everyone write a check for $15 or $18 or $25 or whatever amount they settle on and save themselves the effort.

PS... Laughing at the birthday club and similar schemes. Really, really silly.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 2:06 pm
[quote="amother"]Some of my DD's high school classes collected money right after graduation to pay for a gift for each kallah (I think in those days it was enough for a Kitchen Aid mixer.)

The idea was to collect it then because by the time the last few girls get married e/o has lost touch or is busy raising a family & out of extra money.

I don't know if they're still doing it...

Or - wait! How about this one? You are asked by your childs' school to be honored by at their dinner. Thereby requiring many friends and relations to fork out for an ad. Thereby requiring you to fork out for an ad for them when it's their turn to be honored. So if you can afford to just give the school big bucks, do it now. If not, you'll be paying it out over the next several years![/quote]

this happened in my school and I think by now its stopped. not sure. and I got a bouquet of flowers. and they were nauseous. and wasted money.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 2:12 pm
amother wrote:
Some of my DD's high school classes collected money right after graduation to pay for a gift for each kallah (I think in those days it was enough for a Kitchen Aid mixer.)

This happened in my school . Of course by the time the last few girls got married there was no money left or anyone on top of it anyhow. And of course not everyone paid in the first place

greenfire

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 2:40 pm
there are many fundraisers that are ridiculous ...

think of all the places that offer a donation to a specific cause if you buy their item ... well they are rich enough to just make that donation without me buying one - right ?

but getting people out & about or to buy a certain product is how they think they sell more - except to skeptical people like you & me

scrltfr

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 2:44 pm
I hate bake sales. I don't like eating from other people that I hardly know.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 3:11 pm
amother wrote:
Or - wait! How about this one? You are asked by your childs' school to be honored by at their dinner. Thereby requiring many friends and relations to fork out for an ad. Thereby requiring you to fork out for an ad for them when it's their turn to be honored. So if you can afford to just give the school big bucks, do it now. If not, you'll be paying it out over the next several years!

I have a wealthy BIL who gets honored by a school or organization every year or so. We get hounded to take out a bigger ad than we can afford. Last time we decided to all chip in together for an ad, and the organization really put DH down verbally and pressured him till he gave in and did his own ad. They did the same to several of his relatives. None of us are anywhere near that kind of financial bracket.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 3:28 pm
amother wrote:
It's not buying one cookie or one brownie - it's buying a whole cake, a tray of brownies, a tin of cookies, etc. And it's not for the kids. It's the mothers buying to supposedly serve for yom tov. But personally I would never buy anything. The school has a big mix of families and I wouldn't feel comfortable with the kashrus from many homes. I also don't like not knowing ingredients. Or wondering if someone's 3 yr old was sticking her fingers into the frosting bowl as mommy was frosting the cake. But all that is entirely beside the point. The point is that it's so much effort for so little return and the money just comes from our own pockets anyhow.... so why not just everyone write a check for $15 or $18 or $25 or whatever amount they settle on and save themselves the effort.

PS... Laughing at the birthday club and similar schemes. Really, really silly.

Because you also get the cookies?

imasoftov

Post Fri, Jun 10 2016, 5:22 am
amother wrote:
I have a wealthy BIL who gets honored by a school or organization every year or so. We get hounded to take out a bigger ad than we can afford. Last time we decided to all chip in together for an ad, and the organization really put DH down verbally and pressured him till he gave in and did his own ad. They did the same to several of his relatives. None of us are anywhere near that kind of financial bracket.

I tell individuals who complain that I didn't give them enough money that if I've offended them I'm willing to take back what I gave them. They never take me up on the offer.

I see no reason the same thing wouldn't work on an organization, although BH I don't have any rich relatives so I've never had to try. Plan B is say "well actually this *is* an attempt to embarrass our relative ..."

DrMom

Post Fri, Jun 10 2016, 6:13 am
The way the OP describes it, yes, it sounds futile.

I would think the idea is to sell to people who *don't* send their kids to the school -- that way, funds are raised from outside the tuition-paying population.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette