Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
ISO ice cream recipe with - many limitations

seeker

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 7:06 pm
Getting frustrated with Google getting it wrong. Maybe a human here has something to share.

Shavuos is coming. We need ice cream. I thought I could find something in a store but they all had one or another of our allergens. So I have about 20 hours to come up with a home-grown substitute. Here are the rules:

- No dairy
- No soy
- May contain eggs but not raw (I can try to pasteurize them myself with clear instructions. Or if the recipe calls for cooking the mixture. but no raw eggs)
- No coconut milk/cream. It's nearly impossible to find kosher locally and when I did find some all the recipes I tried with it flopped. I have given up on coconut disappointments until I have the time and energy to gamble on probable failure.
- No ice cream machine. I do have a blender, food processor, and electric beaters available but no ice cream machine.

I have almond milk and assorted fruits and chocolates I can add in, I just need a plan that will turn almond milk into ice cream. A creamy sorbet recipe that has a lot of water I can replace with milk would probably be sufficient.

daagahminayin

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 7:25 pm
Do you like bananas? You can make banana ice cream by slicing bananas, freezing them then blending them with an emulsion blender. Look it up online. You can add sugar, cocoa, chocolate chips, peanut butter etc to flavor it. It tastes great - as long as you like bananas that is!

yogabird

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 7:31 pm
How did the coconut milk stuff flop?

seeker

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 7:36 pm
All these recipes said that if you put it in the fridge you get a heavy blob that can then be whipped into cream. Most of the coconut milks I tried didn't even form the blob. They didn't whip either. finally I got ONE with a blob and even that one didn't whip. That's when I gave up. Though I wish I could remember which brand even had the blob. In case I want to try again... but it really wasn't me. It just didn't work.

Maybe I'll do the banana thing. I can't eat them but the rest of the family should be ok. Too bad I pusehd everyone to eat my overripe bananas today. Easy enough to buy more, anyway.

anonymrs

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 8:49 pm
I don't have a recipe for you but we also have a lot of allergies here. I buy the Sharon's chocolate sorbet and my kids think it's ice cream.

ez-pass

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 8:54 pm
What about sorbets not ice cream or almond based ice cream or nut based? Or even rice dream. All health food stores should sell rice dream and almond dream.

Goldie613

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 9:59 pm
What about the "make in a bag" ice creams? I haven't tried them personally, so I can't tell you which one is best, but most of them only need a handful of ingredients and use "kosher" salt or rock salt to process it.

A lot of the recipes are dairy based, but there are definitely parve ones online - just type in something like "dairy free" or "without milk" and you"ll get them.

Here's a couple I found - good luck!

http://homespunaesthetic.com/2......html

http://rockinmama.net/homemade.....-bag/

RachelEve14

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 10:58 pm
I saw one today with melon that looked good. Cube the melon, freeze, blend with a touch of honey and put in a pan, freeze again. Haven't tried it myself yet, only saw it a few hours ago online.

seeker

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 11:26 pm
RachelEve14 wrote:
I saw one today with melon that looked good. Cube the melon, freeze, blend with a touch of honey and put in a pan, freeze again. Haven't tried it myself yet, only saw it a few hours ago online.

That DOES sound great! No melon today but will have to try that one shabbos soon!

Hey, we need ice cream for Shavuos but it doesn't need to be Shavuos to have ice cream Wink Sorbet, whatever.

Mother 4

Post Fri, Jun 10 2016, 1:22 am
seeker wrote:
All these recipes said that if you put it in the fridge you get a heavy blob that can then be whipped into cream. Most of the coconut milks I tried didn't even form the blob. They didn't whip either. finally I got ONE with a blob and even that one didn't whip. That's when I gave up. Though I wish I could remember which brand even had the blob. In case I want to try again... but it really wasn't me. It just didn't work.

Maybe I'll do the banana thing. I can't eat them but the rest of the family should be ok. Too bad I pusehd everyone to eat my overripe bananas today. Easy enough to buy more, anyway.

It needs to be coconut CREAM, not milk.

DrMom

Post Fri, Jun 10 2016, 3:25 am
Given all those restrictions, why not just have something other than an ice-cream-like food?

Faigy86

Post Fri, Jun 10 2016, 6:38 am
Can this help?

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.c.....ipes/

I've never specifically tried any of her ice cream recipes, but I'd made many other recipes from her blog, and they all have lots of alternative ways of making things for various limitations.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics