Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Dd has rash on both cheeks

muss

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 8:10 pm
My dd has a rash for the past two days on both cheeks. She doesn't feel anything and didn't realize she had if until we asked her about it. Anyone know what it could be? Should I take het to the doctor?

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 8:17 pm
Yes it can be...shoot I can't remember the name! My son had it this year. It starts on the face and then goes to arms and legs and sometimes stomach. Sometimes accompanied by fever. Nothing to do but wait it out. See a dr to make sure

mommyla

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 8:24 pm
Fifth disease, aka "slapped cheek disease" according to some. Like above poster said, not much to do about it, but it's very contagious and can be dangerous to pregnant women so keep her away from others.

muss

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 8:58 pm
mommyla wrote:
Fifth disease, aka "slapped cheek disease" according to some. Like above poster said, not much to do about it, but it's very contagious and can be dangerous to pregnant women so keep her away from others.

Sounds scary. Is it still it if she has no other symptoms. I'm nervous now because I'm expecting

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 9:38 pm
muss wrote:
Sounds scary. Is it still it if she has no other symptoms. I'm nervous now because I'm expecting

Once the child has a rash it isn't contagiousany longer. Take her to the pediatrician if you are worried.

mommyla

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 10:19 pm
My son had it when I was pregnant too. My ob/gyn tested me and I was found to have immunity to it, it seems that a lot of people have been exposed previously and can't get it again (like chicken pox). Ask your doctor if you're concerned. My pediatrician did say to keep him away from others for a while (can't remember details).

muss

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 10:52 pm
Do you think I should take her to the doctor to see if that's what it is before I call my ob?

mommyla

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 11:50 pm
I would. Look up pictures of fifth disease online to compare. Don't get nervous, it's really not a big deal, but it's good to know.

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Jun 10 2016, 3:43 am
One of mine had it while I was pregnant too and thankfully I was immune. I had a friend who had fifth disease while pregnant and thankfully everything was fine but she did have to be followed with u/s very closely

Call your OB because if it is fifth disease they may want to test you asap.

observer

Post Fri, Jun 10 2016, 8:35 am
Sounds like fifth disease. I was also recently exposed to it and called my ob and they said they tested for immunity at the first visit of each pregnancy. She looked it up and b"h I am immune.

Doesn't hurt to call your ob. Most adults are immune, often having had the virus at some point in their lives with or without realizing.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Jun 12 2016, 4:12 pm
If it hasn't spread from the cheeks to rest of the body within a few days, it is probably not fifth's disease. There are other diseases that it could be - roseola (similar symptoms to fifth's disease, but almost never a problem in pregnancy, because almost everyone has had it without knowing it), rosacea (uncommon in young kids though), scarlet fever (if she feels fine, then probably not) even eczema or a food allergy (though she'd probably feel itchy, so probably not). There are other conditions that can cause a face rash as well, but those generally have a characteristic look. In short, you should really take her to the doctor.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics