Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Slightly low hemoglobin

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 5:40 pm
About 2 weeks ago my 6 year old daughter was sick with a virus and was running a high fever for a few days. The doctor took blood and the bloodwork showed slightly low hemoglobin. The doctor said to come back 2 weeks later for a retest. I went back with my daughter on Monday morning for a retest. I got a call from one of the nurses at the doctor's office saying that there was not enough blood in the vile for the lab to get any results and I would need to bring her back for another blood test AGAIN. I went back with my daughter yesterday for the third blood test in 2 weeks (poor baby). I got a call earlier from the doctor saying that her hemoglobin was slightly higher than last time, but still considered slightly low. I need to bring her in for yet another blood test in a month. The doctor didnt seem so concerned, though. I actually read that some people just have slightly low hemoglobin levels and thats normal. My daughter's hemoglobin level when she was sick was a 10.6. It went up to a 10.8. The norm is 11.5. The doctor thinks that the virus could have caused the low hemoglobin nd that it could take a while for the hemoglobin to go back up tp normal and that in about a month it should be normal and said it was a good sign that it went up, even slightly. Has anyone ever experienced this with their kids? The doctor didnt seem too worried but I am a little concerned.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Jun 12 2016, 4:04 pm
I recall you posting about this before the 2 week follow up. I'm a biologist (NOT a doctor, but I did do advanced classes in hematology, including labs and how to read blood tests).

Essentially, Don't worry, it's not unusual at all to have low hemoglobin after being sick! 10.8 is a little low, but not low enough to make a major difference in the short term. Most likely, it will continue to go up in the next few weeks. Worst case scenario, if it doesn't, it's not low enough to point to any specific terrible disease, just the need for some iron/B12 supplements (only give with medical guidance!). She should be fine!

Health is a Virture

Post Mon, Jun 13 2016, 12:00 pm
children a lot of times during growth spurts and after viruses, their hemoglobin will drop. It can't hurt though to give her some iron with vitamin C and a B complex. Her hemoglobin is a little low--it's not a problem--but it can't hurt to help boost it along. Alternatively, you could give her a piece of liver every day (I did that with one of my babies after she was sick)

Health is a Virture

Post Mon, Jun 13 2016, 12:01 pm
also, from what I understand it takes at least 3 weeks to see any change in the blood and it takes 3 months to renew all the red blood cells. so no reason to go back for the blood work till at least 3 weeks and if you're supplementing, you may as well wait 3 months.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics