Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Rental Assistance Question

amother
White

Post Tue, Jun 14 2016, 2:13 pm
DS is beH getting married in a couple of months and wants to apply now for Rental Assistance. Does anyone know if he should file as two in family or not? I suppose based on that he would include his kallah's expected income if files as two, and his own income only if he files as one.

(I guess I could call LRRC but I know it takes some time to get in touch with them, and I'm hoping someone here might know the answer)

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Jun 14 2016, 5:50 pm
can file either way, but...

You have a better chance of getting onto HUD if you are in the extremely low income bracket. If his kallah's income pushes him out of that category, then he should apply as a single. This is anyway in fact true and therefore the better way to go. They assume your situation will be different by the time you get on.

If not, it may be easier to file as a couple (they can file this way without being married as the law counts household members, not family members,)

amother
White

Post Tue, Jun 14 2016, 5:53 pm
Thank you very much for your reply.

I was just wondering if a family of two is more eligible in general than a family of one.

Let's say as a single he makes a few thousand a year. But as a family of two they would make in the twenties, still well under the very low income limit, I think.

Once they're in the very low income category, are the slots given out totally at random by some kind of lottery, or is there ranking by various factors?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics