Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
DS- graduation ideas

ruby slippers

Post Tue, Jun 14 2016, 10:32 am
DS is graduating high school at the end of this week- he finished high school in 3 years time- all credits with honors. He is getting a diploma- but the school has told him because he is in "11th grade" he can not walk down with the 12 graders. (mind you he got in to college with honors and has been with the 12 graders since the middle of 9th grade). I find this extremely upsetting as he is one of the top students in the 12th grade class, completed all necessary work to graduate etc. and a good kid. We would have fought with the big wigs in the school (who were not involved in the graduation decision) but ds is modest and told us he does not want a fuss made with the school etc. So we are respecting his wishes but ds deserves some kind of recognition- he actually is going to graduation just to cheer on his fellow classmates.
what can we do to mark the day and his accomplishments?

Goldie613

Post Tue, Jun 14 2016, 10:43 am
Would you - and your son - feel comfortable hosting the boys for some kind of graduation party? It doesn't have to be anything fancy, maybe just some chips, cake and soda.

If not, does your shul make a graduation kiddush? If so, maybe your son could get an aliyah then or give a dvar Torah to the shul on that Shabbos.

You can also ask him what he wants to do to celebrate, it could be that he"ll come up with something that will work well for him and for you.

And, oh yes --- Mazel tov!

Dancing Music Wave Party Hug

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jun 14 2016, 10:49 am
Sounds like you have a fine son there. Congratulations!

Years ago my sister did this as well - got her high school diploma just before her 16th birthday (she had skipped a grade in elementary school, and graduated after 11th grade).

IIRC our family had a special dinner party. She did not get to participate in graduation either. Years later we all attended her medical school graduation.

PAMOM

Post Tue, Jun 14 2016, 11:28 am
Eema1--Mazal tov to your son!

ruby slippers

Post Tue, Jun 14 2016, 11:44 am
Thanks for the mazel tovs and the great ideas- we had suggested a bbq to him with some of his close friends from the class, but unfortunately graduation ends late and the next day most of his friends are going out of town.
Our shul does do a graduates kiddush, but ds wasn't interested in having his name printed. I think part of it has to do with not being included in graduation he doesn't feel like he should be part of the celebrations, it also did not help that the one of the principals told him he really isn't in 12th grade even though he is graduating- so out of respect for this man he doesn't want to make waves.

Maybe I will go to party city and get some giant balloons and signs and decorate the front lawn!

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Jun 14 2016, 12:50 pm
I have a daughter who graduated early last year. She was given the option of marching down this year with her high school class. However she feels funny doing it as she already has a year of college under her belt. We made a nice family dinner last year.

ruby slippers

Post Tue, Jun 14 2016, 1:07 pm
like that idea also...

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Jun 14 2016, 5:07 pm
Mazel tov to your son, it sounds like you raised a real mentsh!
May he continue to be successful in all his endeavors and always bring you nachas.

OP's post upsets me so much, why can't the school recognize your son's accomplishment? Why put a damper on such a wonderful occasion? He worked hard and deserves to be acknowledged.

Can anyone explain the reasoning of the school?

ruby slippers

Post Tue, Jun 14 2016, 8:25 pm
op here- it would have been nice if the school spoke directly about it to us. DS thought he was being mature and asked the principal if he was being included in the graduation ceremony and he was told he is really an 11th grader. ds has a great deal of respect for the principal and asked us to just leave it be. So even though it is driving me nuts not saying anything about how wrong this is we are respecting his wishes.

My only guess would be-They don't want it too publicized as others may want to try and graduate in 3 years. or the principal does not care for me much because he overstepped his bounds on a family matter and I called him on it and he can be very spiteful.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Jun 14 2016, 8:34 pm
Thank you for explaining.
Your son sounds like a mature adult.
May he have continued success.
Lots of nachas.

ruby slippers

Post Tue, Jun 14 2016, 8:37 pm
amen!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics