Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Middle name of one child, first name of another?
Previous  1  2  3

amother

Post Thu, Apr 26 2012, 3:35 pm
My aunt remarried a man that had a daughter "chaya" while she had a daughter named "chaya rivka" but both went by "chaya". Since they both lost their spouses the children were living together in the same house and even though they were step sisters and a few years old at the time they still started calling "Chaya rivka" rivka so as not to have 2 children with the same name. Obviously it's not Halacha I think it was more their personal choice. Anon because it's a pretty famous story embarrassed

busydev

Post Thu, Apr 26 2012, 4:26 pm
I have a few friends that go by their middle name. or a nickname of the middle name.
My nephew goes by a nickname of his middle name. (sil wanted 2 names and it sounded better with the name she liked second)

so you can either insist on both names. or you can call her by her second name.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 30 2012, 10:14 am
I asked my Rav and he said it is OK to call another child with the middle name of the first but it would be unusual to do so.

He said we should not officially drop the middle name but we could call her by the middle name if we chose to.

I still feel that I would like to use the middle name for another child but will see how I feel about it if and when I am pregnant again. Maybe we will have found a name we like as much by then. It may depend on whether people eventually start calling DD by both her names or whether the name Rochel continues to be dropped.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Jun 14 2016, 5:30 pm
So now 4 yrs later...what did u end up calling your daughter...?

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Jun 14 2016, 8:48 pm
Fun way to bump up an old thread Wink

I have two names. I'm called just by my first name. Both my names are beautiful names (if I may say so myself Smile )
My father makes a point of calling me by my full name every now and then...
I feel that if you don't plan on calling your child with both names why give it?

Both my children have one name.

My husband has two very full names. He is called either by both names (his immediate family) or by his first name (yeshiva friends and my family) or by his second name or a nick name for his second name (mainly work and current friends) or by his legal name whivh is similar to his second name but not an exact translation (Also manly work and current friends and me - some family too)

I think It's very weird.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 8:40 am
It's not common but it's done. Like naming for aunt Rochel leah and aunt Sarah Rochel or whatever.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names