Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How can I speed up my 15 month olds walking?

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 3:18 am
Sooner than later will be going to the country And it's no fun with a 15 month old baby crawling on the ground and eating all vitamin d (dirt)... Wondering if anyone ever boosted the almost walking baby to speed up?!?

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 3:36 am
It's not a good idea. You can't rush bone and muscle development.

That said, give your baby as many chances to "cruise" the edges of furniture. Hold toys slightly out of reach, and encourage him to stretch for it. Will he walk by holding on to your two fingers? Soft bottom shoes like Robeez seem to help kids walk sooner, because the kids can get more sensory input to the bottoms of their feet, and it improves their balance.

When you need a break, put a large blanket down on a grassy area (and watch him closely!), or put him in a pack and play for a bit.

My mama always said "G-d made the dirt, and the dirt don't hurt!"

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 3:38 am
BTW, I'm willing to bet that within a few months, you are going to be back here posting "My son keeps running away from me in public! How can I keep him at my side?" LOL

chani8

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 5:28 am
There are lots of incentives to help a baby walk. But ultimately, he'll walk when he's ready. The best walker toys are the toy chairs that a child can push around. They are sturdy and dont tip over. The other biggie is having a parent or older child take the child for walks holding his hands. They love all the attention. Lots of things to hold on to while walking, encourages a child to be upright. And last, consider taking a play gate with you on your trip. That way you set up an area that is safe for toddler.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/North-.....55264

That type is expensive though. You might find this more affordable and transportable, though not as pretty:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-30-.....04488

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 10:40 am
Feldenkreis

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 3:52 am
amother wrote:
Feldenkreis

Trying to figure out what you wrote??

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 3:54 am
Thanks for all replies. Got him some booties. He's pretty much doing tons of walking with holding someone's finger. Not even sturdy. Just for his mind support. Thought for sure by shavous he'll walk. But I guess it's not ripe time yet! Will wait patiently and pray I hashem. I guess that's all we need and is to do.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 5:36 am
3232 wrote:
Trying to figure out what you wrote??

In short:

"The Feldenkrais Method, often referred to simply as "Feldenkrais," is a somatic educational system designed by Moshé Feldenkrais (1904–1984).[1] Feldenkrais aims to improve people's quality of movement, their overall physical function, and their general wellbeing by increasing students' awareness of themselves and by expanding their movement repertoire."

I personally have seen it significantly help kids I know with walking.

wiki

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 10:37 am
Even if you just keep at whatever you're already doing, he will probably be walking well by a month or two from now.

When my toddler was an expert cruiser but refused to walk independently at 14 months, I found that putting my phone on a chair, just half a step out of reach, was the best incentive to discourage crawling and cruising and get her to take the plunge and try out real steps. After she mastered half a step, I extended it to one step, two steps, etc. A few days of this game and she was walking with confidence.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics