Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Toronto - Thornhill help, please

eraiser

Post Thu, Mar 01 2012, 10:30 pm
We're thinking to move to Toronto at the end of the year. I would love to live in Thornhill but we won't be able to buy a house right away (obviously). Does anyone know of any apartments in the area? I know there's a condo complex near the Promenade. Does anyone rent and live there?

Also, for those who have moved from the States, how does it work with the move? Do you have to pay mega taxes? Do you get a break, or incentive? And does being Canadian make a difference in paying taxes or not?

Also, while I'm asking all the questions, I have a 2 yo that will need to get into a playgroup. If we'll indeed be living in Thornhill, who are some names of people will playgroups nearby?

TIA!

shlomitsmum

Post Thu, Mar 01 2012, 10:39 pm
PM gerbera !

newlywed10

Post Sun, Mar 04 2012, 8:27 pm
Toronto is the best! I grew up there, but in the down south area. Thornhill is known to be a very friendly, mixed community of all types. I only know of one couple that live in those apartments. I think they are just starting to attract a frum crowd in that complex. As of playgroups, I don't know of any offhand but I can find out for you. Feel free to pm me for any questions you may have.

Gerbera

Post Sun, Mar 04 2012, 8:49 pm
Thanks shlomitsmum for the referral :-)

And yes - please DO pm me - I have lived in Thornhill for over 20 years and can probably answer most of your questions. I can definitely give you names of playgroups if you'd like and tell you a lot more about housing options - there are quite a few buildings with a lot of frum couples in them - even some with Shabbos elevators.

What do you mean by if being Canadian makes a difference in your taxes? My husband became a permanent resident upon moving here and when filing his taxes had to show his foreign income for that tax year. That income was also used to assess eligibility for the Ontario Child Tax Benefit. It didnt make any difference that I am Canadian. He is not American so I can't help you with any info there.

If you are Canadian/permanent resident you are entitled to $100/month per child up to the age of 6 and then the provincial government pays out amounts per child up to the age of 18 I believe based on income. (Universal Child Care Benefit and Ontario Child Tax Benefit).

Feel free to PM me for any info!

Last edited by Gerbera on Mon, Mar 05 2012, 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total

eraiser

Post Sun, Mar 04 2012, 8:56 pm
thanks everyone - I'll definitely be PMing everyone soon!
To just clarify what I meant about the taxes thing - I meant a customs tax when we move from the US. We will (I think) be moving our things, so I was wondering if anyone knew anything about a customs tax from bringing in foreign goods. We'll probably look it up or ask a lawyer or something.

Gerbera

Post Sun, Mar 04 2012, 9:00 pm
Having moved from the UK you DO have to go through customs - my husband went downtown with proof of ID and our packing papers - he didnt pay any money and said it was very straight forward (he needed to go and "release" the stuff). Our stuff came by boat though - not sure what happens when you are driving through.

There's a women's email group in the city that would be helpful for you to get on if you move - great for getting info, finding about stuff in the city,looking for help, etc.

mirah2

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 4:27 pm
Sorry, I know this is an old thread - Gerbera - may I PM you sometime about moving to Toronto from the UK? My husband and I are just starting to look into this...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating