Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
East Boca Raton
1  2  Next

amother

Post Wed, Jan 01 2014, 1:34 pm
We're looking to move to Florida, and s/o recommended East Boca but I don't know anything about it .
Can anyone tell me about It? What is the community like as far as type of ppl living there, Shul situation, etc. How far is it from the original Boca community? What is the cost of housing there? Is it mostly younger families or older ones? And lastly- is it a warm and friendly place to newcomers? Thanks so much!

boysrus

Post Wed, Jan 01 2014, 2:23 pm
there was an article about boca raton including teh east part in last weeks hamodia magazine inyan. see if you cn get hold of it

amother

Post Wed, Jan 01 2014, 2:37 pm
I saw one a number of yrs ago about it but wondered if it grew since then. Also I wanted personalized info..... Especially since I don't have access to the Hamodia

amother

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 8:12 pm
bump?

amother

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 8:32 pm
I don't have much to contribute, but I did want to mention that we have also been thinking of moving to east boca. It sounds really warm, friendly, and growth oriented. I think it's an inherently Chofetz Chaim community but they are very welcoming. The cost of housing is lower than the other part of Boca, and seems to be more affordable. Food prices down there are super expensive though, from what I understand....
Hoping to see other people respond!

amother

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 8:38 pm
amother wrote:
I don't have much to contribute, but I did want to mention that we have also been thinking of moving to east boca. It sounds really warm, friendly, and growth oriented. I think it's an inherently Chofetz Chaim community but they are very welcoming. The cost of housing is lower than the other part of Boca, and seems to be more affordable. Food prices down there are super expensive though, from what I understand....
Hoping to see other people respond!

Depends what you mean by "food"- things like kosher meat and poultry are more expensive than they are in larger Jewish communities, but otherwise everyone shops at the big chains and the prices are excellent.

amother

Post Sat, Nov 08 2014, 7:28 pm
previous poster can you tell us anything more about the community?

amother

Post Sat, Nov 08 2014, 8:55 pm
The only shul in east boca that I know of (I live in Boca) is chabad. Rabbi Nu is the rabbi. It is a small community of mostly wealthy older couples cause its near the beach. Only a handful of frum Jew. It is 15-20 minutes to the bigger MO shul where most of the restaurants and kosher store(s) are. We have one kosher store and a bigger grocery store with a kosher bakery and meat dept. Tell me what else you want to know.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 09 2014, 7:58 pm
My husband and I live in East Boca. There is a Chabad shul near the ocean, but there is another community about a mile from the ocean. There is one main shul which has about 30 families (there is also a Sephardic shul, but most of the members are not shomer Shabbos yet). It is a small, close-knit community. It is a younger crowd - almost all of the families are in their 30s or 20s. The community is very warm and friendly and loves having guests. The community was founded by Rabbeim from the Chofetz Chaim Yeshiva (Queens) and the Rav (Rabbi Light) received smicha from the Chofetz Chaim Yeshiva. College students (mostly from FAU) constantly visit. I recommend viewing the website for more information (www.congregationyagdiltorah.org). The shul is currently at the boy's middle school (Torah Academy). It is about 5 miles (15-20 minutes) from the main Boca community. The elementary and middle schools are located in East Boca. There is a boy's high school and Beis Midrash that opened this year in the main Boca community (at Young Israel Boca). The kosher supermarkets are in the main Boca community, but many people shop at chain stores for most of their food (I.e. Costco, Publix, Trader Joes, Walmart, etc.) If you have any specific questions that you would like answered, please let me know. Thanks!

amother

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 3:13 pm
hi last amother. your community was the one I was thinking of Smile. When I heard retired wealthy pple I got a little nervous.

ok lots of questions Smile

how is it gashmius wise? is there a pressure to have lets say vennetini shoes or is that considered nebby and kids wear shoes double the price or more? we are looking for a place where people can feel free to be themselves without pressure to live up to the schwartzs?

how far are the chain stores?

will we be out of place if we have no shaichus to chofetz chaim? we try to be careful about halacha but aren't in to pushing kollell so a typical yesheivish community won't work for us.

how is the weather, is it very humid? My husband and I are both not the biggest fans of hot weather which is why houston, phoenix... are out for us even though they sound nice.

How is traffic? How is the regular boca community? is it like driving in NY? NJ? or much more relaxed?

where do most "professionals" work? How long is the commute?

do you know how much tuition is? How is the elementary school hashkafically? Do you think that they will end up opening up girl's high school also?

amother

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 3:14 pm
last amother here- just wanted to say thank you!

amother

Post Tue, Nov 11 2014, 8:27 pm
Okay, I'll answer you as best as I can.

I have not seen a lot of gashmius at all. Most people are very down to earth. There is no pressure that I have experienced to keep up with the Schwartzes.

Publix (grocery store) is 5 minutes away. Costco is about 15 minutes away. Target is maybe 20 minutes.

You won't be out of place. While most families here are Chofetz Chaim, not everyone is, and everyone blends together nicely. There is a good mix of backgrounds.

Now, the weather may be a game stopper for you. It definitely gets very hot and very humid here. There is usually a period of time in the winter where the weather is absolutely beautiful, but it might only last a few weeks. The rest of the winter can easily hit 80 degrees on most days.

Traffic is much more relaxed here than in NY or NJ.

Everyone in East Boca sends there kids to the Torah Academy of Boca Raton elementary school. It's right here in the neighborhood and it's a Choftez Chaim school. You can look into it more on torahacademybr.org.

Hope this helps, and let me know if there's anything else you want to know.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 7:37 am
thanks so much! I think the weather is going to be a game stopper though and we'll stick with looking in to the midwest Smile. The shul and school's websites just looked soo good !

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 10:47 pm
Hi Bumping up this thread to get more information about East Boca. We really want to learn more about the community! we currently live in Queens and are professional/frum types. My DH went to Chofetz Chaim but is working now and we want a community but something that is not very out of towny (like Detroit). We would love to stay in the tri state area but I feel like financially it makes more sense to live out of town as it is more affordable.

How many families currently live there?
Where are they from?
Is it welcoming and warm?
How can we check it out?

what is the job situation for someone in the therapy profession as far as finding work?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 11:14 pm
Very nice community. I live nearby but my kids go to the school in the community. Maybe 40 families, mostly younger people like like 20-40 year olds. Affordable housing. Great school. Not a fancy shul but meets at school. Chofetz Chaim style. Most people hail from NY.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Jul 13 2016, 12:53 pm
Are there any Lubavitch families that send to Torah Academy? Which Chabad house has a growing Lubavitch community in Boca?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Apr 16 2018, 8:13 pm
Bumping- because looking into this now- anyone know how much housing is?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Apr 16 2018, 10:13 pm
https://www.eastbocakehilla.org/

Call someone here and ask. Would depend on how many bedrooms etc. Pretty affordable older homes.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 9:52 pm
good thread. any update on what this community is like now?

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Mar 11 2021, 10:16 pm
What’s the elementary school tuition like after scholarships for local school’s?

Would a family with 4 kids and income of 100k be obligated to pay $10-12k per child or a more reasonable 5k? If the former, then it’s a deal breaker and we can’t move here.

I called 2 schools and was told that in OOT communities, big tuition breaks don’t occur unless we’re in chinuch. True?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating