Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Help me menu-plan!

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 6:30 am
My freezer is making weird noises (sounds like a theremin playing low notes) and I'm scared it's going to die within the next week. We're moving next month so I can more or less manage until then with just a fridge, but I have several things I'd like to use up. No fleishigs- any dairy or pareve ideas appreciated, preferably without eggs due to allergy issues.

I have:
-a full 2-lb bag of cauliflower. I'm thinking of making a cauliflower-cheese soup for Friday night. (If that's anathema to you, please just close this thread without commenting. Thanks.)
-an unopened package of jachanun. It has oven instructions on the package, but how do I serve it? I've had it only once or twice before and can't remember.
-frozen blueberries and redcurrants. I was thinking either a pie or a cobbler- which will be better reheated/room temp to make tonight or tomorrow for Shabbos?
-a bunch of different frozen nuts. Will those survive if the freezer stops working?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 6:32 am
what are frozen nuts? most nuts don't have to be frozen?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 6:36 am
The kitchen isn't air-conditioned and can reach over 90- that's why I freeze any nuts I'm not planning to use up quickly. I guess I'm asking if they'll keep in the fridge until I use them, or if I should use them up quickly after they thaw?

cbg

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 6:40 am
amother wrote:
what are frozen nuts? most nuts don't have to be frozen?

Nuts, should go in the freezer, if not the oils can go rancid.
That being said, WHOLE FOODS sells the nuts in bins, so I think they can stay out for a little bit of time.
Keep the nuts in the freezer, till the freezer is caputz.
You may be lucky and the freezer will last the last month.

As far as concern the jachnun. Maybe you can roll it out and use it with your berries. I don't know if it's too fatty, but I can't imagine it's more fatty than puff pastry.

The cauliflower, can be made into mashed cauliflower, cauliflower augratin, or cauliflower crust pizza.
Breaded cauliflower is nice for Shabbat,

Yays mom

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 6:41 am
actually nuts contain oils and if stored at room temperature they will go rancid fairly quickly so the best way to keep them fresh is to freeze them

cbg

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 6:42 am
amother wrote:
The kitchen isn't air-conditioned and can reach over 90- that's why I freeze any nuts I'm not planning to use up quickly. I guess I'm asking if they'll keep in the fridge until I use them, or if I should use them up quickly after they thaw?

Yes they will keep in the fridge.

Is your freezer a separate unit?

If not, then isn't the mechanism all connected?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 7:11 am
cbg wrote:
Yes they will keep in the fridge.

Is your freezer a separate unit?

If not, then isn't the mechanism all connected?

It is connected, but the sound seems to be coming from the freezer. I'm hoping it's the automatic defroster that's giving out and not the main cooling mechanism.

cbg

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 7:13 am
I know someone who rented a fridge/freezer for a few weeks.
Not very expensive.
Maybe that's an option

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 7:22 am
cbg wrote:
I know someone who rented a fridge/freezer for a few weeks.
Not very expensive.
Maybe that's an option

Moving anything that size into a 4th-floor walkup tends to be expensive, but we'll do what we have to. Thanks for the idea!

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 7:24 am
cbg wrote:
Nuts, should go in the freezer, if not the oils can go rancid.
That being said, WHOLE FOODS sells the nuts in bins, so I think they can stay out for a little bit of time.
Keep the nuts in the freezer, till the freezer is caputz.
You may be lucky and the freezer will last the last month.

As far as concern the jachnun. Maybe you can roll it out and use it with your berries. I don't know if it's too fatty, but I can't imagine it's more fatty than puff pastry.

The cauliflower, can be made into mashed cauliflower, cauliflower augratin, or cauliflower crust pizza.
Breaded cauliflower is nice for Shabbat,

Those cauliflower ideas sound great! I'd still love other input on the jachnun, in case it can't be rolled out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen