Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
2.5 year old at home...

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 1:58 am
Stay at home mom. How can I enrich the experience? What activities can we do? I also have a baby so that limits things but I want to make this time full of memories, fun and be educational and enriching. We do a lot of reading, free play, errands (and I try to talk about it while we do it) but I find if I try to take him to"do" something, even if just errands which I have to do, he gets frustrating. He walks away, starts pulling things off the shelves, melting down... And I feel like I want to pull my hair out. I know it's normal but still...
Even sometimes after a nap because he wakes up due to a dirty diaper, noisy neighbors (we already have a fan on for white noise) etc.
I bring a snack if it will be a while so it's not due to hunger.
I don't try too many the same day but it could just be the grocery store or cvs.
What other activities can we try? We have done bubbles but no too often as it's messy as he dumps it all out. The park is good.

Help!

the world's best mom

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 7:18 am
Just surviving the day with a toddler and a baby is a reason to deserve a medal!

But play dough may be helpful. Or kinetic sand. Or water play. These things can get a bit messy, but they are healthy activities that can keep a kid calm and happy.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 9:42 pm
the world's best mom wrote:
Just surviving the day with a toddler and a baby is a reason to deserve a medal!

But play dough may be helpful. Or kinetic sand. Or water play. These things can get a bit messy, but they are healthy activities that can keep a kid calm and happy.

Super messy... Will drive me nuts! We have no yard to play in or area to do play dough etc.
thanks though... Any other ideas?

Stars

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 9:50 pm
Are you up to teaching? colors, numbers, shapes, sounds, alphabet, songs. Kids need mental stimulation too... You'd be surprised at how much they can retain at that age. make up songs as you go along. Does he know the basic parts of davening? Kids love learning in song.

moonbeam

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 9:57 pm
You could try the local library, they often have fun activities going on during the summer. I like craft time at the library because when we are done we go home and someone else gets to clean up. LOL

MamaBear

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 10:43 am
At that age my kids like just going for walks and pointing out what we see, singing songs along the way etc

Playing music in the background at home so our down time seems more "full"

Pretend play - do you have puppets? a play tent that can fold up, toy kitchen with food etc

How about a small riding toy to ride down the sidewalks? Or a wagon to pull him in? You can just wear the baby in a carrier/wrap

Are there any local gymboree places for classes? Music Together?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics