Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Pls tell me some frustrating scenarios so I can be more prep
Previous  1  2

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 11:26 am
PinkFridge wrote:
B"H tying their shoelaces together usually kept them from climbing out of their carseats.

I can't buy shoe laces for my son because he knots them up so badly by trying to undo them. I have velcro. He religiously takes them off every. single. time he gets in to the car.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 11:30 am
Chocolate in your pocketbook? Don't expect it to still be there when you want it.

Just sit back and enjoy the free entertainment!
(DD asked what I do all day, I answered, "watch ds2!" He's so funny!)

flowerpower

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 11:45 am
Pulling tableclothes big time. My son broke a pretty vase and an expensive centerpiece that way. Now when he pulls it just whatevers on the table comes flying down like food and dishes.... Lots of fun!

pond user

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 11:50 am
Every apple in the bowl has one bite taken out of it as we speak

blossoming

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 12:08 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Toddler asks for cereal and milk then spills it all over the room in a second
Same goes for yogurt
Toddler takes chair to sink to "wash dishes" aka the whole kitchen gets a washing too
Toddler only wants to dress himself and everything is on upside down or backwards....

oh, the chair, the chair... whenever I hear the chair begining to make itself over to the sink, out come my sponja supplies. Mad

Stars

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 12:10 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Pulling tableclothes big time. My son broke a pretty vase and an expensive centerpiece that way. Now when he pulls it just whatevers on the table comes flying down like food and dishes.... Lots of fun!

We keep a bare table for this precise reason Smile

Oh the love

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 1:28 pm
pond user wrote:

One of the first things my kids would do once they learned how to get from here to there - even by rolling - would be to open the refrigerator (you can do this lying down) and pull themselves up on the produce drawers, somehow pull them open, and start sampling till they were caught.

OP, are you more prepared now? Very Happy

Coffee Addict

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 1:35 pm
pond user wrote:

one morning we woke up and saw 9 peaches on the counter all halfways eaten up!! A few bites in all! One more, one less..... I asked my toddler who ate all peaches? He answered, the giraffe!!!

I guess at that time he was obsessed with animals, we told him a story about a giraffe, so hey, why not blame it on the animal??

Bruria

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 3:00 pm
How about when they are at a party and managed to eat only the top part of like 10 cupcakes? Surprised

cuties' mom

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 3:14 pm
Get a baby gate for your kitchen. Your toddler will learn how to open it pretty fast, but at least it gives you a few extra seconds to catch him.
Get locks for your fridge and freezer. Replace them every two weeks after toddler pulls them off, melts ice cream in your oven, pours grape juice on the kitchen floor, paints the table with ketchup, and eats a whole package of plain cream cheese.
Get a lock on the oven that makes noise when it's opened. This way you could hear when toddler opens the oven (since he will learn to open the lock).
Don't keep anything dangerous in a cabinet over the table since the table could be used as a step stool.
Don't keep anything in a cabinet that can be reached while standing on a chair. It's going to be emptied.
Know that when a toaster oven is placed on a chair by an eager child, it can be used to climb on top of the fridge. Don't keep any cereals there unless you want them carpeting your floor.
Make sure your kitchen is safe every night before you go to sleep. This way, you may be surprised when you wake up with a plate on your chest, a package of bread on your face, cream cheese on your knee, and a knife in your child's hand as he asks for a sandwich.
If you have any porches that aren't on the ground floor, make sure you have a key lock on it. Its not fun to wake up during the night to your child trying to climb over the porch.

Coffee Addict

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 5:38 pm
Bruria wrote:
How about when they are at a party and managed to eat only the top part of like 10 cupcakes? Surprised

LOL LOL LOL

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 5:53 pm
When guests are over and big kids are playing outside, hauling potty outside and stripping naked to show off new potty skills to the big kids. She's only two and doesn't get privacy yet.

rowo

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 6:24 pm
I think the best thing to keep in mind is that they are just exploring and figuring out the world.
They aren't trying to be naughty or make you angry.
Sure it can be frustrating, but try to roll with it.
Lollies are yummy, of course they are going to try to work out a way to get them!
The cereal is all over the floor? He was hungry! Just being resourceful and independent, trying to get food he could reach and eat by himself.
Covered himself in diaper cream? We need sunscreen on when we go out in the summer!

youngishbear

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 6:37 pm
...and not to spoil the fun we are all having here but OP please remember that these disasters don't all happen at once. Except the eggs, of course: if one pesach tray of eggs goes, then all fifteen of them go flying all over your sparkling clean kitchen floors.

But besides for that, the level of chaos really depends on your individual toddler. Mine actually likes real toys so her messes are mostly concentrated in the playroom.

Except for the yogurt, which she insists on eating by herself and of course the rest of the kitchen enjoys it right along with her. And her hair, too. Smile

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 12:43 am
Ahhhhhh, the mark of an experienced Mommy!

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 7:28 am
Also let live a little.
I would rather my son empties an entire box of baby wipes ALL over my freshly made bed just so I can rest a few more minutes on the couch.
Saying no all the time is fun. Sometimes if it's not dangerous just let him have a little fun.

goforit

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 8:46 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Interesting you use the word frustrating.
I'm with everyone who says, do what you can within reason. (There was a point where I dreamed of having pegs high on the walls to hang the chairs between meals.) That should give you some level of menucha as you go through your day. Then, for those moments that are frustrating, you might want to keep a chocolate bar in your pocketbook and allow yourself a square. As you make the bracha on it, be thankful for the healthy kids doing whatever they are. Repeat as needed.

You can use a ching chang (chinese jump rope) to keep the chairs from walking, till they realize you can lift it. Then the chairs get tied to the table legs.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 9:11 am
Bolt ALL furniture to the walls. This is especially important for dressers and book shelves. It's a miracle my sister's kids are still alive, because they treated the house like the REI climbing wall.

Install a loud brass bell on the front door, as well as a latch hook high up. This still didn't stop my brother from sneaking out when he was 3, but it did work for a while. He would wake up at 5 am, and very carefully drag a chair to the front door, and then sloooooowly open it so that the bell wouldn't ring. My parents lived in a heavily wooded area, and one morning the country trapper called and said that there was a bear spotted nearby. Of course brother was out playing somewhere in the 5 acres we had, and wouldn't come when we called him! We finally found him, and right up the next hill, Mr. Bear was pretty unhappy that we were taking away the breakfast he had planned. The trapper managed to come and tranquilize the bear so it could be relocated, and my parents got an inside-key lock for the front door.

I woke up one morning to DD saying "Mommy, how do you turn on the stove?" She was 2 at the time, and wanted scrambled eggs for breakfast. She got out the dairy pan and spatula (she knows her colors!), the cheese, eggs, and everything. The eggs were scrambled in the pan (shell and all) with cheese on top (which she cut with a very sharp knife!). She had the chair pulled over, but just couldn't quite reach the knobs. B'H, the knobs were on the back of the stove, instead of in the front, or I'd be waking up to the fire department. Surprised

Move everything dangerous and poisonous to the shelves ABOVE the counters, and put padlocks on them. Put cans, pots, pans, and tupperware in the bottom cabinets. Your child will figure out how to undo the latches you install, and spend hours playing with your kitchen stuff - totally ignoring all the expensive toys that bubbe and ziedy got them for Chanukah. DD could stack cans of food and never get tired of it. Fortunately, I could get her to stack them back in the cabinet after she was done.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jun 16 2016, 9:25 am
goforit wrote:
You can use a ching chang (chinese jump rope) to keep the chairs from walking, till they realize you can lift it. Then the chairs get tied to the table legs.

And I guess they're so well pushed in that the kids can't climb up?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics