Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
How can I go to child's graduation?

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Jun 19 2016, 1:32 pm
I am trying to figure out how it is that I am the only mom who could not attend her child's graduation. The reason is because I work far away from home and can't take off because the way I keep my job is by having good attendance--that is what they care about (mostly)--and the few days I take off is when I get sick like flu...or for a big thing like my child's surgery....

Am I the only one with a full time job that is far from my home with inflexible boss???

If the graduation were on Sunday, I could go because I am off Sunday but how would I be able to pay tuition if I was not working in the middle of the day??(the graduation was in the middle of the day!!)

Let me point out that I am not working for my pleasure or to "get out"...I am working to pay for necessities in life so it is not a choice!!I need to do what I have to do to keep my job!!

imasinger

Post Sun, Jun 19 2016, 1:37 pm
Graduation from what? The only graduations I have seen that are in the middle of a workday are for preschool/kindergarten.

Hugs. I highly, highly doubt that you are the only parent in this position.

Can you send a surrogate? Grandparent, babysitter, other relative? Send a small gift and loving note, and make sure you have a video you can watch together.

ttbtbm

Post Sun, Jun 19 2016, 1:40 pm
It is so hard to be working to pay for tuition and have to miss important school events. Would you have been able to go had the graduation been scheduled for first thing in the morning? If yes, next year tell the teacher about your schedule and request that when possible to schedule mommy events as early as possible. In my daughter's class I saw a grandma there in place of working mom.

SRS

Post Sun, Jun 19 2016, 2:35 pm
I noticed that my friend's father was the parent at the end if year/graduation. A family member was graduating, but she has not been with her new employer long and probably have has no flexibility.

nicole81

Post Sun, Jun 19 2016, 2:46 pm
I have had to miss graduations and other classroom events over the years but I usually send the father, a grandmother, or an aunt in my place and take the kid out for a special dinner that night or on the weekend.

To the poster who mentioned that only preschool graduations are during the day, well my daughter graduated from 5th grade this past week in the middle of my work day (it's a big deal; her school ends at 5th grade!) and I nearly had to miss it.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Jun 19 2016, 2:52 pm
im the op--thanks for the support

it makes me not feel as bad now

debsey

Post Sun, Jun 19 2016, 4:27 pm
I completely understand where u r coming from - in lakewood, a school can announce a special event two days before - like a play that was supposed to be on Wednesday is now rescheduled to Monday - leaving me w no time to reschedule work events. That being said, I try to live up to what my mother did -she never missed a play or performance, even if there were professional repercussions. The one time she absolutely HAD to, she arranged for my father and grandmother to attend instead. That involved arguing with my chassidish teacher about the propriety of my father coming and watching a group of 4 year old sing "don't walk in front of me" in the end, the compromise was that my father could come in just to watch my solo. I never forgot it! Made me feel so special and valued.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Jun 19 2016, 5:09 pm
What graduation was it for? Usually it's on Sundays unless it's preschool. My dd has a classmate that always has the grandma attend each performance and siddur play etc.

debsey

Post Sun, Jun 19 2016, 5:22 pm
flowerpower wrote:
What graduation was it for? Usually it's on Sundays unless it's preschool. My dd has a classmate that always has the grandma attend each performance and siddur play etc.
depends where u live! In lakewood the "smaller" graduations - preschool, siddur parties, etc, are usually during the week, and like I said, can often be unpredictably rescheduled. I guess that kind of thing can work if u r a morah, but I've had court dates (for clients) and other very officially scheduled things that just can't be put off last minute, so I get very annoyed when I'm put in this position.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics