Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Let's hear some food presentation ideas

Surprise

Post Sun, Feb 14 2016, 2:22 am
It's all the way u present a plate. Any ez ideas? For example, when serving mashed potatoes u can stick in some baked spaghetti to give it a prettier look. Just take spaghetti and line it on a foil and bake for abt 10 min

tichellady

Post Sun, Feb 14 2016, 2:25 am
I like to sprinkle chopped herbs on side dishes and lemon/orange slices on chicken. Not very original...

Surprise

Post Sun, Feb 14 2016, 2:32 am
Keep them coming

byisrael

Post Sun, Feb 14 2016, 4:34 am
stacking roasted spiced potatoes rounds (alternating colors for sweet an regular) and then stick in a stick of Rosmary

byisrael

Post Sun, Feb 14 2016, 4:36 am
Herbed rice in a mold with lemon swirls on top

Iymnok

Post Sun, Feb 14 2016, 7:36 am
Anything with some parsley either on top or next to it.
A couple small lettuce leaves arranged to the side.
Some slices of tomato add color.
Put mashed potatoes in a piping bag to present them in a different design. Sprinkle with fried onions.
Sliced citrus works with many dishes.

pumpernickle

Post Sun, Feb 14 2016, 9:55 am
Stick a sweet potato chip into a scoop mashed potatoes for some instant color and upgrade.

Put a grape tomato and an olive onto a knotted toothpick and stick into chicken or anything for added color and oomph.

When serving a blintz for an appetizer just cut it on an angle in half giving u two pieces with slants. Serve them standing up in a bed of sauce.

Lettuce, purple cabbage, alafalfa sprouts and pea shoots go a long way in terms of decorating a plate.

Put ketchup and mustard separate squeeze bottles and squirt dots in a pattern on the rim of the the main plate. Leave it like that or run a toothpick through the pattern to create a more artsy look.

Sprinke paprika on the rim of the plate for a dusty modern look.

Try breading chicken with whole pieces of falafel bits super snacks or different chunky pieces for a burst of flavor and pretty presentation.

Try layering a salad in a martini glass instead of just throwing it into a plate.
Eg. Purple cabbage, shredded carrots, sliced cucumbers, halved grape tomatoes, diced purple onions, lettuce, cubed deli cuts, diced pickles and top off with croutons, super snack, crackers, chips or anything that your family likes.

For dessert always open ur nosh cabinet and be creative. Cookies? Chocolate? Wafers? Anyhting can be stuck under or over a scoop of ice cream.. Add a warm tea, slice up a fruit and voila... Dessert is born.

mille

Post Sun, Feb 14 2016, 10:22 am
Kosher by Design: Cooking Coach (the most recent KBD cookbook) has a whole section on presentation!

One thing I can say from working in restaurants is that plated appetizers and other plated items where you are placing more than one item look better in odd numbers. 3 looks better than 2 or 4.

Also, food in general simply looks better on plain white plates. It lets the food itself shine without a distracting pattern. If you do serve on white plates, make sure the rims are clean - in restaurants we'd clean the rims with diluted vinegar+water on a cloth. It makes a huge difference.

Sauces can be decorative if you use a squirt bottle on the plate. Also common in restaurants.

yo'ma

Post Sun, Feb 14 2016, 5:16 pm

Carmen Luna

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 3:36 am
I've come to learn and that nothing adds oomph to your plate like serving it in on a big white modern dish. Of a soup bowl with a small bowl and huge rim. All white. Let's say I make a chilled carrot soup I garnish it with baby arugula and a touch of coconut cream next to the microgreens to give it a simple yet sophisticated look.
Also never serve food in even amounts. Always odd. And less is more. Let's say for an appetizer I like to serve just 3 Thai potstickers gingerly leaning on one another with the sticky sauce just delicately drizzled on top on a white oblong plate.

Surprise

Post Sun, Dec 25 2016, 2:21 am
Thanks! Love these ideas.. Keep them coming!!

cinnabuns

Post Sun, Dec 25 2016, 11:39 am
Carmen Luna wrote:
I've come to learn and that nothing adds oomph to your plate like serving it in on a big white modern dish. Of a soup bowl with a small bowl and huge rim. All white. Let's say I make a chilled carrot soup I garnish it with baby arugula and a touch of coconut cream next to the microgreens to give it a simple yet sophisticated look.
Also never serve food in even amounts. Always odd. And less is more. Let's say for an appetizer I like to serve just 3 Thai potstickers gingerly leaning on one another with the sticky sauce just delicately drizzled on top on a white oblong plate.

Looking for dishes that sound like this! Where did you buy yours?

Surprise

Post Mon, Dec 26 2016, 2:03 am
Bump

Blessing1

Post Mon, Dec 26 2016, 10:18 am
I cup out wraps with cookies cutters, any shapes, fry it for a minute & stick on mashed potato scoop.
Serve salad in a bowl made of pasty dough.

myself

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 12:26 pm
Looking for presentation ideas for two vegetable turnovers. They will be partly one on the other at an angle, but need ideas for the rest of the plate.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 12:39 pm
A puddle of mushroom sauce and something green or red. Parsley, peppers, reddish, tomatoes, etc.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics