Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Average salary for LCSW/MHC/LMFT in a clinic (NY)

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Jun 19 2016, 7:07 pm
What is the range of possible salaries?

I'm looking at degree options and I want to see what numbers I'm looking at for the professions that I'm interested in.

I'm focusing on the shorter term, before going into private practice.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Jun 19 2016, 7:08 pm
following

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Jun 19 2016, 8:19 pm
Clinics are generally fee for service and the range is 27-35 in my experience. Clinic-based work is not lucrative at a fee for service rate. The turnover rates are high as many stay until opening their own practice, as you mentioned. However, while many choose social work, mental health etc as a fast track to private practice, many come to the conclusion that opening a practice at the first opportunity out of grad school (ie 3-4 years) is often not as easy as anticipated. The truth is that many if not most clinicians are not at the level of enough experience to be responsible for an entire caseload on their own without that constant supervision. There is a big achrayus... Just my two cents.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Jun 19 2016, 8:45 pm
amother wrote:
Clinics are generally fee for service and the range is 27-35 in my experience. Clinic-based work is not lucrative at a fee for service rate. The turnover rates are high as many stay until opening their own practice, as you mentioned. However, while many choose social work, mental health etc as a fast track to private practice, many come to the conclusion that opening a practice at the first opportunity out of grad school (ie 3-4 years) is often not as easy as anticipated. The truth is that many if not most clinicians are not at the level of enough experience to be responsible for an entire caseload on their own without that constant supervision. There is a big achrayus... Just my two cents.

I agree with the bolded. That's why, when planning for the future, I want to count on a good few years of clinical work before heading into private practice and I'm trying to crunch the numbers.

Thanks for the information and input. If only people in this field would understand the serious damage they can inflict if they don't know what they're doing.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 12:27 am
I'm not positive but I heard that a degree as MHC isn't that great as you cannot accept insurance. Now I get that insurance companies don't always reimburse that well but some do. For example ,when I see a social worker who is out of network, my insurance reimbursed $125 out of the $150 she takes per session. As a client,I would look at options where I could use my insurance as oposed to seeing an MHC where I can't use my insurance.

Hatzlacha!

pesek zman

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 7:32 am
Not really answering your question but I have LMSW, work in a hospital and make a bit over 70k (with great benefits)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics