Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
I want to go back to school - Thomas Edison?

watergirl

Post Sun, Oct 06 2013, 4:46 pm
I have around 3 years of college under my belt, but from more than 10 years ago. A friend recommended I look into Thomas Edison. She actually described it as a "credit laundering factory" and as a frum girls secret.

Did anyone do there? Who can tell me about it?

TwinsMommy

Post Sun, Oct 06 2013, 5:07 pm
a credit laundering factory???

doesn't sound like the kind of place you'd WANT to go. what's your major? do they offer it there? where is it? Tell us your major and where you live and maybe people have better ideas than a "credit laundering factory"?

PAMOM

Post Sun, Oct 06 2013, 5:35 pm
I'm not sure what your friend means. It's a college designed for adults returning to
college and who, most likely, have jobs and families. You can take online courses and get credit for work/ life experience but that's the case at many many colleges with weekend or evening classes for working adults. This is a fully accredited college. I'm sorry I can't give you first hand info.

greenfire

Post Sun, Oct 06 2013, 5:48 pm
anything 'laundered' is actually very dirty ... I'm hoping she just means it's easy to get credits

watergirl

Post Sun, Oct 06 2013, 6:26 pm
greenfire wrote:
anything 'laundered' is actually very dirty ... I'm hoping she just means it's easy to get credits

That's what she mean, that they are known for taking all of the transfer credits, even the ones that most schools wouldn't talk. For example, I was in a few colleges. One wouldn't take a lot of my education courses because they didn't match up exactly with the ones they offered. Strangely, though, they took ALL of my Judaic courses and "women in halacha" worked for womens studies credit.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 06 2013, 9:16 pm
My BA is from Thomas Edison. What do you want to know?

amother

Post Sun, Oct 06 2013, 10:02 pm
I have a BA from there also.it was over 10 years ago, though.I was able to get into graduate school with it which was my primary agenda. I did it through maalot so I had a lot of direction from the maalot staff.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 3:27 am
you can try maalotonline.org

wispalover

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 5:53 am
I have 13 credits to go at TESC. The courses are challenging, you need to devote time and energy into them. They have core subjects that you MUST take. I did not do a KLEP/ other credit acheieving tests-just used my own hard work to get a (second) degree for my career change.
The only extra credits I got were FEMA credits (FEMA classes I needed to take for my degree) and they applied a few of the extra credits I had from my last degree. My GPA is all my own though and it takes hard work and dedication. I am happy to answer any questions you have.

watergirl

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 8:02 am
I don't live near the school. I was told by a friend that you have them look over your credits you've earned in the past, they tell you what classes you still need for whatever degree you choose (in my case I would just go for the degree I am closest to, which ever that might be. I was doing a double major before so I have a number of options). When you finish the classes they tell you to take, at community college of wherever else, you register for Thomas Edison and then graduate. Is that right?

watergirl

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 8:03 am
wispalover wrote:
I have 13 credits to go at TESC. The courses are challenging, you need to devote time and energy into them. They have core subjects that you MUST take. I did not do a KLEP/ other credit acheieving tests-just used my own hard work to get a (second) degree for my career change.
The only extra credits I got were FEMA credits (FEMA classes I needed to take for my degree) and they applied a few of the extra credits I had from my last degree. My GPA is all my own though and it takes hard work and dedication. I am happy to answer any questions you have.

You took classes on their campus?

wispalover

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 9:37 am
watergirl wrote:
I don't live near the school. I was told by a friend that you have them look over your credits you've earned in the past, they tell you what classes you still need for whatever degree you choose (in my case I would just go for the degree I am closest to, which ever that might be. I was doing a double major before so I have a number of options). When you finish the classes they tell you to take, at community college of wherever else, you register for Thomas Edison and then graduate. Is that right?

I am not sure what your friend is talking about. Here is what happened to me.

I had some college credits from abroad that were left over from when I switched majors in my last degree- maybe about 30. I got them verified with an overseas college assessor. You do not get a grade for these credits btw- they just apply them. I needed to take 15 FEMA credits for my subject, and you can apply 10 FEMA credits to your general electives. I did 25 FEMA credits in total (these are great btw- they do not take long to learn and it saves you 3 classes)- best of all? THEY ARE FREE! I do not know a thing about community college- the whole school takes place online, infact, I was in NJ when I began and I am finishing it off in Israel. You do not need to be near the school or a community college. Again- only do it if you really want to because it is hard work and takes a lot of dedication to stick to it.

watergirl wrote:

You took classes on their campus?

The entire schooling, inc exams, takes place online.

watergirl

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 9:39 am
Thanks. What are FEMA classes?

Sherri

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 10:44 am
http://www.tesc.edu/

Why don't you look around their site and then call an advisor.

wispalover

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 10:59 am
watergirl wrote:
Thanks. What are FEMA classes?

Get a list of accepted ones- not every test on here is accepted as credit.

https://training.fema.gov/IS/

watergirl

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 10:05 am
UPDATE - I went with Thomas Edison. The friend who told me that it was a credit laundering factory was way off - it may have been for her, but for me, it was work. A lot of work - as a college degree should be. I was given credit for what I had earned before I took my looong break, and now I hsve completed another 2 years of 3-4 courses a semester. I did some online through the local community college, but took the majority in a real physical school and am transfering the credits to Thomas Edison. This summer I am taking my final class. It feels amazing.

I'm giving this update because I want people to see that busy mothers can do this!!

If anyone is interested in more details, please feel free to pm me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics