Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
URGENT - what IDs needed to travel to/from Canada?

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 2:31 pm
We would like to take a road trip to Niagara falls/Canada the weekend of july 4th. My husband has a green card (he is not a US citizen). Me and the kids are US citizens but nobody has US passports (kids never got them and mine is expired). Are there other valid IDs we can use to travel without issues to and from Canada? Like birth certificates (for the kids) and my naturalization certificate?

There is not enough time to get passports for everyone, and anyway it would be really costly (me +4 kids).

Thanks!

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 2:33 pm
U can get into canada with birth certificates, but u can't get into the us without passports

mizle10

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 2:55 pm
You can travel both ways with an expired passport

GetReal

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 3:12 pm
If you're driving, kids can use birth certificates.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 3:18 pm
GetReal wrote:
If you're driving, kids can use birth certificates.

That's what I thought - but what about me? What can I use instead of the passport??

sky

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 3:19 pm
You can get a passport card, much cheaper. But is not valid for air travel to canada.

DrMom

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 3:28 pm
Are all these suggestions (birth certificates, expired passports) valid for the OP's husband as well? She said that he is not a US citizen. I don't think Canada lets in people from all sorts of countries with just birth certificates/expired passports.

Depending on where your DH holds citizenship, he may need a visa (in addition to a valid passport, of course).

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 3:33 pm
sky wrote:
You can get a passport card, much cheaper. But is not valid for air travel to canada.

what about if we are driving?

DrMom wrote:
Depending on where your DH holds citizenship, he may need a visa (in addition to a valid passport, of course).

He just has a green card, not a citizen. Is that not good enough to go to/from canada /US?

DrMom

Post Mon, Jun 20 2016, 3:36 pm
Ah. I googled and found this:

Quote:
U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents may use their I-551 ("Green Card") -- instead of a passport -- for travel between Canada and the United States, by air, land, or sea. The I-551 is accepted for entry to Canada, from the U.S.; a U.S. permanent resident does not require a visa to visit Canada, regardless of citizenship.

So I guess he's good. Wouldn't hurt to contact the Canadian embassy, though.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics