Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Not invited back

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 4:05 pm
I found out last week that my contract will not be renewed. Honestly, I saw it coming. I tried so hard, but my classroom management is terrible. I guess I'm just not cut out for this. I have so many different feelings. A bit of relief- I'm being put out of my misery, as it were (though not till June). Embarrassment - at being fired, at not being able to hack it in the classroom. Confusion- where do I go from here? What can I do now?
Not really sure what I'm looking for- chizzuk? To hear I'm not the only one? Advice? Whatever you've got. Thanks.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 4:19 pm
I had been graded a 70 on my last seminary model lesson. My supervisor gave me a negative review. The classroom teacher usually fails everyone. She thought I should've gotten an 80-85. After that I switched fields to accounting. I look back with no regrets.

Wishing you clarity in your decision on how to proceed. Hug

marina

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 4:51 pm
classroom management is so so hard. They do not teach it enough in teacher prep programs and they expect people to either have it or not. Super difficult. You are by far not the only one.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 4:57 pm
I think I had a lot of potential as a teacher, but classroom mgmt was never for me. You will find an area where your abilities can shine.

Go to some place like JFS where they offer vocational testing & see what they can recommend for you.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 5:00 pm
Some schools have different expectations and different attitudes towards teachers. I didn't do well in the first school I taught; it was too hefker and I am a demanding teacher. I simply couldn't click with the students, but in the next school I am now considered one of the best teachers. OTOH, someone who taught with me in this school which is a large school and very discipline-oriented didn't do well but she is very successful in a smaller school with a more informal attitude between teacher and student.

If you really enjoy teaching and think you're cut out for it, don't let it get you down. Take your talent elsewhere.

amother
White

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 9:05 pm
amother wrote:

Go to some place like JFS where they offer vocational testing & see what they can recommend for you.

what is JFS?

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 10:03 pm
My first year teaching was in a second grade public school...I had horrible classroom management techniques..the year was torture and I could not wait to leave..for the next 7 years I taught preschool and I much happier

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 10:04 pm
Quote:
what is JFS?
Jewish Family Services. Or the vocational office at a local community college. Or Professional Career Service office of Agudah.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 10:24 pm
I have to share that I was fired from my first teaching job. Yep. I also had poor classroom management skills.
But I love teaching children and I went from a public school to a private school that had a much more relaxed atmosphere.
Its been 10 years and now I teach part time. My classroom will never be quiet and regimented but my students still have a lot of fun while learning. I am still working on my classroom management skills but I find that the more the children enjoy the lesson the less disciplining I have to do.

I know it is hard especially having to work these next few months until the end of the school year. But use your time now to start applying for new jobs! If you have to take off from work for interviews then don't hesitate to call in absent.

Sending you so much chizzuk! I know how this feels and it will get better!

imasinger

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 10:42 pm
Classroom management, like many things, is a learnable skill. Many if not most teachers had horrible experiences in their first year or few years, until they developed a way that worked for them.

Sometimes, people are better suited to one age than another. Sometimes, it's the support system and general environment of the school. Sometimes, there are people who would be happier in another career.

But I believe that everyone can learn.

I failed miserably in my first year. It took a long time, some reading, some talking to and observing master teachers, some courses, some development by hit or miss on what worked for me. At this point, I have a decent reputation, and am really enjoying most of my work, b"H.

I think that I am not alone in this trajectory.

If you want to be a teacher, please don't give up too quickly!

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 11:04 pm
I also used to have poor classroom management. I was told by several bosses that my teaching was great but my classroom management needed improvement. I was fired or not asked back due to this. I did find a few schools though that kept me despite poor management because of my subject expertise and interesting lessons. I did have better control when I taught in a chinese learning center because those children are very motivated. Usually the honor students are well diciplined. The Russians are also well behaved and motivated to suceed.

courage2218

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 11:53 pm
Some community colleges offer classroom guidance courses in their early childhood department. It may make it easier for you to manage more effectively after taking one.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Mar 28 2016, 4:33 am
Thanks, glad to know I'm not alone. Although I did hope to make a career out of teaching, this year has really put me through the wringer and I don't love it enough to give it another go. I don't like any other age group other than the one I'm currently teaching, so not interested in trying a different one. I just want to cut my losses and do something else.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Mar 28 2016, 5:15 am
Some people make an excellent living doing tutoring. You could pick up evening students while you take some day classes to retrain, either in the teaching field, or something else. Having your days free also makes job hunting easier, and you have your tutoring income to fall back on in the meantime.

Try to find your local home schooling groups, and see if they need anyone to fill in educational gaps. For example, I could teach English and writing all day long, but I would for sure need someone to help me with math.

One of DH's sons makes a small fortune tutoring bar mitzvah boys.

tf

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 2:04 am
I was also fired this year, and I'm an experienced teacher. I constantly keep reminding myself that HASHEM has a plan for me, I just don't know what. I need to do hishtadlis and tefillah, and I'll find something. Most likely something better than what I have now. If it happened, it must be good. And good things don't come easy. As of now, I think I'm beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel (it's a few weeks already that I've been fired), but not quite sure yet. Hopefully in another week or so, I'll be able to tell you for sure.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics