Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Tired of working in public school - SLP needs ideas

amother

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 1:36 pm
It's hard being back in school after Yom Tov. I spend most of my waking hours at work and I'm just feeling really down about how all my kochos are going out of the Jewish community. I BH work in a good school and really enjoy the kids and staff - but I wish I could work in the Jewish community instead. But my salary is so much better here than in the Jewish schools and my pension is a huge part of the package - without my pension it would be hard for us to eventually retire. Does anyone have any genius ideas about how to work in the Jewish community for a good salary??

SRS

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 1:45 pm
amother wrote:
It's hard being back in school after Yom Tov. I spend most of my waking hours at work and I'm just feeling really down about how all my kochos are going out of the Jewish community. I BH work in a good school and really enjoy the kids and staff - but I wish I could work in the Jewish community instead. But my salary is so much better here than in the Jewish schools and my pension is a huge part of the package - without my pension it would be hard for us to eventually retire. Does anyone have any genius ideas about how to work in the Jewish community for a good salary??

Beware that you might end up abused and bruised for lack of better terms if you try and take your kochos within. If you enjoy your job, don't quite in hopes of greener grass.

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 2:11 pm
DONT BE AN IDIOT

sorry to be blunt

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 2:16 pm
I don't see it that way. You're giving to the children of the world, which is a good thing, and potentially making a kiddush Hashem.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 3:16 pm
I do make a kiddush Hashem (most days) and I do feel good helping kids.

Am I really the only one who finds it disheartening to spend most of their day in a place where people think Hashem isn't in the picture at all? Sad

amother

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 3:25 pm
amother wrote:
I do make a kiddush Hashem (most days) and I do feel good helping kids.

Am I really the only one who finds it disheartening to spend most of their day in a place where people think Hashem isn't in the picture at all? Sad

I too work in an amazing public school. Almost all the children I deal with are Asian, with only two being frum. That being said, I love my job and wouldn't give it up!! In the board of ed you work incredible hours which you would not find anywhere else. the benefits are insane!
ANd I look at the lack of frum people in my work place as a plus. other staff members are constantly asking me questions bat yuntif, tznius, shabbos etc. and I love being able to explain how amazing it is to be frum. I am making a kiddish hashem, helping children, and explaining to clueless adults how great being drum is. what can be better??

mema613

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 5:26 pm
I also taught in Yeshivah for many years after I witnessed a stabbing while I was teaching in the public schools in the 80s. My husbands job had no retirement benefit and the Yeshivahs I was teaching in had no retirement benefits as well. My husband wanted me to go back to public school teaching for the benefits. I didnt because I knew I would be fired for lack classroom controll there. Hashem had his solution for us because we are now both in florida in century villiage where the cost of living in a condo is 500 a month! There is a shul with 700 members and a chabad house as well!

amother

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 6:35 pm
When you retire at 55 with a good pension (where I live you get half your paycheck plus health benifits for the rest of your life, or wait until 62 and get the whole paycheck) then you can go teach for fun in the jewish schools and give back to the community.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 7:20 pm
If you speak Yiddish somewhat fluently and youre talking about new York here, there are FOUR bilingual Yiddish public school programs in Brooklyn. Maybe apply for next year. There's one in Williamsburg, one in Bensonhurst, one in SHeepshead Bay and one in Crown Heights.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 7:27 pm
[quote="amother"]When you retire at 55 with a good pension (where I live you get half your paycheck plus health benifits for the rest of your life, or wait until 62 and get the whole paycheck) then you can go teach for fun in the jewish schools and give back to the community.[/quote
In nyc you only get 60% of your paycheck after 30 years of teaching, at age 55 (tier 4).

amother

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 7:31 pm
[quote="amother"]
amother wrote:
When you retire at 55 with a good pension (where I live you get half your paycheck plus health benifits for the rest of your life, or wait until 62 and get the whole paycheck) then you can go teach for fun in the jewish schools and give back to the community.[/quote
In nyc you only get 60% of your paycheck after 30 years of teaching, at age 55 (tier 4).

I was going to write the same thing...

tf

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 3:31 am
Mama bear, which public school in Williamsburg is bilingual, and how do I apply.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics