Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Working in public school
Previous  1  2

tf

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 6:25 am
M in Isreal, parents of lower class children do drugs and alcohol and are less careful with it in pregnancy as well. This affects the child's behavior. I was wondering how this plays out in preschool classrooms.
About the $ $, I can make ends meet, but I do have buchorim in yeshivas, which cost an arm and a leg, and of course, I want more than making ends meet. I want to be able to get myself stuff I can't afford now, so switching from chassidishe school teacher to public school teacher might be something to consider, or not if I feel I won't be able to handle the environment and different styles of demands.

m in Israel

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 6:53 am
tf wrote:
M in Isreal, parents of lower class children do drugs and alcohol and are less careful with it in pregnancy as well. This affects the child's behavior. I was wondering how this plays out in preschool classrooms.
About the $ $, I can make ends meet, but I do have buchorim in yeshivas, which cost an arm and a leg, and of course, I want more than making ends meet. I want to be able to get myself stuff I can't afford now, so switching from chassidishe school teacher to public school teacher might be something to consider, or not if I feel I won't be able to handle the environment and different styles of demands.

The vast majority of public school parents in NYC are not "doing drugs and alcohol". Unless you are teaching in a really bad neighborhood, I just don't think that is going to be the main issue you are facing. And if in fact a child has serious learning or behavioral issues based on prenatal exposure to drugs or alcohol they will probably have an IEP and be in a special class.

As I said before, in my experience most public elementary schools in half decent neighborhoods do not have rampant discipline issues. That doesn't change the fact that is most certainly is NOT a frum environment. (I did work in Queens, which perhaps has better schools than Brooklyn)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics