Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Any imamothers in San Jose?

doctorima

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 3:36 pm
We're looking to spend a Shabbos in San Jose (California) this summer, but I'm having a difficult time finding anybody in the community who help with hosting. Are there any imamothers who live there, or know anybody there, who could possibly help out? If so, please either post here or PM me directly, thanks!

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 9:37 pm
From the shul website:

Am Echad has had the privilege of hosting many business travelers and tourists from all over the world. We'd be happy to arrange Shabbos meals for you and discuss options for accommodations.
Please either call 408. 267.2591, or email us at info@amechad.org.

(I don't live in San Jose, so I can't host. I live in a neighboring community.)

doctorima

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 10:19 am
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately the Shabbos we want to be there, there's a big simcha in the shul with lots of out-of-town guests taking up the usual go-to accommodations. The closest hotels are 1.5+ miles away, and the eiruv is still not finished, so too long of a walk for DC.

DH has a friend there who offered to help with meals if we can just find lodging. Anybody else live there, or know somebody there who could help out a fellow imamother in need? If so, please post here or PM me.

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 10:50 am
If I am thinking of the right simcha, all guest housing was likely booked up months ago.

If you truly need an eruv or accommodations within walking distance, I suggest seeing if there is a hotel near the closest Chabad (which I believe is Chabad of Los Gatos), or staying in Palo Alto, which is approximately 30-minutes away, and has a very reliable eruv and several hotels within a 5-10 minute walk of the shul. (Http://www.emekberacha.org)

doctorima

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 3:05 pm
Thank you Silver for your replies. You are probably thinking of the correct simcha. Unfortunately Palo Alto isn't an option. Seeing as how nobody else has responded, could you please PM me, or if you prefer, post an anonymous email address at which I could contact you? And if anybody else sees this and could be of assistance, please let me know!

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 3:58 pm
The Bay Area is small, and PMing you will make me easily "out-able." If you have any other questions that I may be able to answer, please post them here and I will b'n try my best to help.

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone in San Jose who is not a member of Am Echad, so I can't personally suggest people to call. It's worth checking AirBNB to see if they have any housing listed that is within walking distance of Am Echad.

Members of the San Jose community have frequented Imamother in the past. You should try "bumping" this thread every few days, to see if any of them have additional ideas.

I wish that I could help more.

doctorima

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 7:24 pm
Silver, thanks for your reply and your suggestions. I'm sorry if my PM request made you uncomfortable; it certainly wasn't my goal. I just don't want to broadcast my entire itinerary here. Smile

As far as San Jose, I realize that everybody there will be a member of the Am Echad shul. I was hoping that there might be somebody who for whatever reason wasn't contacted about hosting for the simcha or didn't volunteer their guest room (or maybe has another extra one), and might be able to help out a desperate imamother, or could even give me some names and #s of people there that I could call myself. I will look into the AirBNB suggestion.

Considering how computer-savvy the region is, I was hoping that there would be more members on here, but from the responses I've gotten so far, it's not looking promising. Sad If you or anybody else reading this has any leads, please PM me or post them here.

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 9:03 pm
doctorima wrote:
Silver, thanks for your reply and your suggestions. I'm sorry if my PM request made you uncomfortable; it certainly wasn't my goal. I just don't want to broadcast my entire itinerary here. Smile

As far as San Jose, I realize that everybody there will be a member of the Am Echad shul. I was hoping that there might be somebody who for whatever reason wasn't contacted about hosting for the simcha or didn't volunteer their guest room (or maybe has another extra one), and might be able to help out a desperate imamother, or could even give me some names and #s of people there that I could call myself. I will look into the AirBNB suggestion.

Considering how computer-savvy the region is, I was hoping that there would be more members on here, but from the responses I've gotten so far, it's not looking promising. Sad If you or anybody else reading this has any leads, please PM me or post them here.

Not a problem! It was a fair question.

I suggest asking Am Echad if they can email those with guest rooms to see if anyone isn't already hosting that Shabbos, or agreed to host families that have since made alternative arrangements. (This is a long shot.) Also, it may be possible that if you and your young child are willing to sleep somewhere other than your husband, someone who lives close to the shul could have space just for the two of you.

There is a Conservative shul down the block from Am Echad. I don't know the name, but I imagine that you can find it on Google Maps. I don't know much about the shul. It is possible that they have a Hospitality Committee that can help with housing.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 7:41 pm
Just checking in.... I am davening that things worked out!

doctorima

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 11:54 pm
So sweet of you to check in! Unfortunately nothing has worked out, and after a few potential leads didn't pan out, we're right back where we started, only with less time to figure something out. I actually got excited when I saw that somebody posted on this thread, hoping that maybe someone in San Jose had come along, but so far nothing. If you (or anybody else) have any suggestions, I would be most appreciative!

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 1:29 am
I'm sorry that you are facing such difficulty with your travel plans! Unfortunately, I'm out of ideas, and don't know anyone in San Jose to ask that isn't already on Am Echad's hospitality list.

If spending Shabbos in another town is an option, and I realize that it may not be, you can likely find hospitality in Sunnyvale (about 20 minutes from San Jose, no eruv) or Palo Alto (about 30 minutes from San Jose, eruv and hotels less than five minutes from the shul). I'd email them early, though, as many members of both communities are likely to be spending that Shabbos in San Jose.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics