Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Dh wants me to stop shaving
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

Orchid

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 8:52 pm
You know what I would love? If an imamother delegation would speak to a noted historian (R' Berel Wein?) and ask for the source of this minhag.

Volunteers?

youngishbear

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 10:28 pm
Orchid wrote:
You know what I would love? If an imamother delegation would speak to a noted historian (R' Berel Wein?) and ask for the source of this minhag.

Volunteers?

I like the idea.

If you have his contact info I would shoot him an email. No need for delegations lol.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 11:38 pm
youngishbear wrote:
I like the idea.

If you have his contact info I would shoot him an email. No need for delegations lol.

Rabbi Wein's Israel office is run by Rabbi Nachum Amsel, nachum@jewishdestiny.com

Rabbi Wein also has a website, maybe he takes questions through there.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 8:04 am
amother wrote:
What about if I decide that I don't want to shave every single time before tevilla just every few months???

You want to let your hair grow or just shave every few months ?

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 8:27 am
amother wrote:
You want to let your hair grow or just shave every few months ?

Not fully sure, for now I know I don't want the skin head look.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 8:32 am
amother wrote:
Not fully sure, for now I know I don't want the skin head look.

So shave on a higher number

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 11:24 am
gold21 wrote:
Randomly skimming this thread

My fathers parents also grew up on a village on czechoslovakia/hungary border

Maybe they knew each other Wink

My maternal grandmother too. She used to tell us that she remembers the day her town was annexed to Hungary at the start of WWII. The Hungarians marched thru the town yelling that this is all now Hungary, and her mother turned to her and said "The Hungarians are Reshaim, what will be with all of us?"

Maybe they all knew each other.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 12:04 pm
I was told by a frummy woman who told me to push down my snood in the front that its so a woman shouldn't forget to cover her whole head because shes embarrassed of it being bald

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 12:06 pm
You mean, as a geder so that she won't expose any hair? IDK, you could accomplish the same thing by making a Takana to wear snood over your ears. I know some very stringent Litvish women who do this.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 12:09 pm
amother wrote:
I was told by a frummy woman who told me to push down my snood in the front that its so a woman shouldn't forget to cover her whole head because shes embarrassed of it being bald

DH asked me to shave because I wasn't covering my hair at home. we're chassidish. it worked. I obviously didn't walk around bald so I got used to covering.
I did shave for a while and now am growing it back in. I hope the habit of covering will stay with me even after it's all grown in.

gold21

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 12:33 pm
Chayalle wrote:
My maternal grandmother too. She used to tell us that she remembers the day her town was annexed to Hungary at the start of WWII. The Hungarians marched thru the town yelling that this is all now Hungary, and her mother turned to her and said "The Hungarians are Reshaim, what will be with all of us?"

Maybe they all knew each other.

Lol funny Tongue Out

gold21

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 12:39 pm
amother wrote:

In theory, we could encourage women to stop shaving their legs, so that the embarassment ensures that they cover with very thick denier tights. Instead, we allow women to shave their legs, and simply encourage them to cover with stockings as per the standards of their community.

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 1:12 pm
I didnt read this whole thread but I have heard that rav aharon kotler said that woman should not shave their head because it is meeus - meaning discusting. So it cant be halacha for sure and litvishe woman rearly shave their heads so again this isnt halacha...

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 9:11 am
I had the same story. My dh asked me niecly to stop shaving because it was very difficled for him. I agreed but asked him to explain me why I can stop. His Ruv understood my dilemma and sent my dh to someone who konw well the history of this minhag.
I'm completely at peace with my self which is very important if you take such decision in your life

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 9:36 am
amother wrote:
I had the same story. My dh asked me niecly to stop shaving because it was very difficled for him. I agreed but asked him to explain me why I can stop. His Ruv understood my dilemma and sent my dh to someone who konw well the history of this minhag.
I'm completely at peace with my self which is very important if you take such decision in your life

Do you mind saying which rav? I want to talk to him. Ty

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 4:33 pm
My hair was always sticking outa mysnood. I get headaches often so can’t wear anything tight around my head..I shave😒 really hard and hope I’ll get big schar. My dh told me b.c it’s not fully covered when I go out w snood I need shave.

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 4:45 pm
amother wrote:
My hair was always sticking outa mysnood. I get headaches often so can’t wear anything tight around my head..I shave😒 really hard and hope I’ll get big schar. My dh told me b.c it’s not fully covered when I go out w snood I need shave.
you can shave just the parts that stick out. Unless dh is using this as an excuse, and he’d want you to shave regardless.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 7:12 pm
amother wrote:
Maya, too funny about pretending you're a foreigner in satmar mikvah!! They actually said anything to you? And once you said that you're not from here, they left you alone?

duplicate

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 7:15 pm
amother wrote:
Maya, too funny about pretending you're a foreigner in satmar mikvah!! They actually said anything to you? And once you said that you're not from here, they left you alone?

Mikve lady suggested I cut my hair even shorter for a Zchus to conceive (it's shaved but I guess not good enuf for her ) this was after I asked if there's a specific bracha to say if ttc

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 9:29 pm
Maya wrote:
FF is right, there is no reason why anyone needs to know about this. Always keep your head covered as you did until now.

The mesorah on this is shaky at best. If someone does find out, a simple "my husband wasn't finding me attractive and asked that I stop shaving" should be enough. If it isn't, that person can go fly a kite. It's not your problem.

I'm speaking as someone who shaved for nine years and then stopped. It's no one's business but your own.

This a very strong mesorah among certain chasidim, not just Satmar. Your statement is

blatantly disrespectful. If you can respect your social group of Yidden, you probably could

find it in your heart to respect those chasidim that consider shaving A VERY STRONG MESORAH.
Page 9 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions