Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
We don't know where Moshe Rabenu's Kever is
Previous  1  2

tichellady

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 5:19 pm
leah233 wrote:
Had you made an effort to do so and came to the conclusion that the Medrash can not be understood on a superficial level because of ... and therefore it must mean ...and the proof is... etc. that would be a legitimate way of approaching a Medrash (though not necessarily correct).

Flippantly disregarding a Medrash without any proof or deeper explanation is unacceptable. Rav Saadya Goan who is the earliest source about not understanding all midrashim superficially gives rules about when and it may be suggested it isn't superficially understood

In not sure why not understanding something literally = flippantly disregarding it? I'm not interested in continuing this conversation because you seem so angry and accusatory. I'm not sure why you feel so threatened.

iluvy

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 8:35 pm
But whether chazal meant it literally or didactically, they did say it -- ergo, the idea of davening at kivrei avos was in practice at least in their time, well before the middle ages.

marina

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 8:48 pm
leah233 wrote:
Had you made an effort to do so and came to the conclusion that the Medrash can not be understood on a superficial level because of ... and therefore it must mean ...and the proof is... etc. that would be a legitimate way of approaching a Medrash (though not necessarily correct).

Flippantly disregarding a Medrash without any proof or deeper explanation is unacceptable. Rav Saadya Goan who is the earliest source about not understanding all midrashim superficially gives rules about when and it may be suggested it isn't superficially understood

Since we're on the topic, what do you think about the medrash of chava having sekz with the snake? I was always curious what the deeper explanation there was. Or do you take that one literally?

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 12:48 am
iluvy wrote:
But whether chazal meant it literally or didactically, they did say it -- ergo, the idea of davening at kivrei avos was in practice at least in their time, well before the middle ages.

Again, mearat hamachpela is not the same as other graves. Jews have gone there to daven throughout the ages, though no one promises good results because you davened there. But going to the grave of a tzadik with the hopes of a yeshua isn't found in early sources.

And about medrashim - as the expression goes, if you take them literally, you're a child, if you don't take them seriously, you're an apikores. There are medrashim that contradict each other. How old was Avraham Avinu when he came to understand God? Three years old, or forty? There are medrashim claiming both. They cannot both be literally true, but they can both teach us lessons for life. Why is that a problem?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions